Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Acetone Baths Lower A Coins Value

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  2:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverTracker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

Does giving a coin an acetone bath lower its grade and value? Is it the same as cleaning it?

ST
Learn More...
United States
62596 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does giving a coin an acetone bath lower its grade and value?
Not typically. However, it could if the acetone removed something that was protecting that part of the coin from toning at the same rate as the rest of the coin and that contrast looks worse than whatever the acetone removed.

Quote:
Is it the same as cleaning it?
No. It only affects organic material, not the metal. (Unless you are using acetone on red copper in bright sunlight. Do not do that.)

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14585 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And some forms of artificial toning can be removed by acetone if the "toning" is just the result of a substance on the surface of the coin and not an actual toning reaction with the metal. For example a copper coin with dell's Darkener on it. Much of the deeper brown color is actually in the film on the surface and acetone removes that film.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5256 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO:

Original surfaces > Acetone dipped > coins with crud and gunk on them.

I would not use acetone to try to remove natural toning, but if there is gunk on the coin, the value can't really go down too much.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11056 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not cleaning in the sense that I believe you are using the word. Acetone itself will rarely lower the grade or cause a details grade, it can happen with red copper on occasion. That said if the surfaces look weird or significantly different under what it removed it can be a negative but generally speaking it's perfectly fine and will be a positive or no change on the grade. I wouldn't be worried about using it on the majority of coins
Edited by basebal21
07/10/2018 4:23 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29633 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said.
Learn More...
United States
62596 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't be worried about using it on the majority of coins
Agreed.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14511 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are rare instances of plastic coins and tokens being issued.
I suppose that acetone would severely affect them.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had great luck with my 1950s and 60s nickels after acetone dip. The most recent batch I sent to PCGS came in last week with several at MS64, MS65 and MS66 grades. Prior to the dip, the ones at MS64 would never have had a fair chance due to black grease like stuff over them. Dipped for about 15 minutes each. I broke several rules by brushing a few but that was the only way to fully get the grease off.

I've been using these little mini mason jars that work very nicely for keeping the acetone from evaporating away, stinking up the whole house. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/an...5098908.html
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little warning about my reference to brushing... no aggressive brushing as under magnification you will see it. I've been using little mini artists paint brushes which is hard to get aggressive with. They are enough to help move some surface stuff that just doesn't seem to want to come off, such as with grease. I spent the money for higher priced brushes with wood handles and real hair as that holds up well with acetone use.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you use for acetoneónail polish remover or paint thinner or something elseóare both these acetone?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11056 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you use for acetoneónail polish remover or paint thinner or something elseóare both these acetone?

The pure commercial kind.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6943 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

The pure commercial kind.

Yes. You can find 100% acetone at hardware stores, such as Lowe's, Ace, or True Value. Avoid products that are labeled as nail polish removers as they can contain other chemicals that can damage coins.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
07/10/2018 10:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to your local home center, in the paint section usually. Where they have all the paint thinners and stuff. You can purchase 1 quart and it is clearly marked Acetone. I have gotten sick from sniffing too much so consider a well vented area. And don't smoke near this stuff as it flames up worse than gasoline. It burns clear which means you don't see it but you certainly will feel it as it burns your room up.
Learn More...
United States
62596 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are rare instances of plastic coins and tokens being issued. I suppose that acetone would severely affect them.
Of course, which is why I was careful to say "It only affects organic material, not the metal." If you have a non-metal coin, this does not apply to you.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17101 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you read the label on a can, jar or whatever the Acetone is in, it should say just Acetone. Not list any other additives.
And as a rule, test it for purity. By that I mean place a small amount on a clean, clear glass plate and allow to evaporate. If no residue, it is OK.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05