Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Running thread! Let's see some Ancient (and Medieval) eye candy!  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4910 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  3:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ancient collectors like to brag that even after the Renaissance, numismatic art never again reached the zenith it saw during classical antiquity. Let's have a running thread to show off our prettiest and most aesthetically pleasing ancients and medievals!

This is not a popularity contest, and no coin is too obscure, humble, or cheap to be here - just show off your favorites!

I'll get us started with perhaps my favorite coin, and a good ol' classic - a tetradrachm of Alexander the Great!

While not quite as technically impressive as the silvers from Syracuse, nearly all of Alexander's coins are miniature masterpieces, featuring his idol - the demigod Herakles - in a form sharing an uncanny likeness with himself. This one was a tough selection that I ultimately chose for its expressive eyes and placid facial expression.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United States
3534 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice thread idea, Steve. Talk about an open invitation for folks to show off a bit...

Fred Shore wrote that “from the middle of the second century BC to the middle of the first century BC (Parthian coins) exhibit an excellent Greek style, among the finest of Hellenistic portraiture.” Four of the coins below are from that period and, I think, serve to illustrate his point. The other two, from just slightly later (late first century BC) show the beginnings of the stylistic shift in Parthian coinage that took place at the time, but they nevertheless maintain a strong aesthetic.

I hope there are no objections to my choice of showing a collage of selected obverses rather than individual pics of single coins. The artistry on Parthians is much more evident on the obverse portraits than with the standardized depictions of the reverse archer. Starting across the top row the coins are:

1. Artabanos I, 127-124 BC, drachm
2. Mithradates II, 123-88 BC, tet
3. Sellwood’s Unknown King II (attributed as Orodes I by Shore; Artabanos II by Assar), c. 90-77 BC, tet
4. Phraates II, 138-127 BC, tet
5. Phraates IV, 38-2 BC, tet (Sellwood 50.3)
6. Phraates IV, 38-2 BC, tet (Sellwood 51.19-22v)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4910 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent selections Bob! I have always had a soft spot for Mithradates II. Not really a "looker" by today's values, but he made some pretty coins!

My current example (one of only like 4 Parthians I own)

Learn More...
United States
21397 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My Macedonian First Meris.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4910 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

What a lovely tet! I had forgotten you bought that one off of Nate.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3534 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such a sweet coin, Ron. Great selection for the thread.
Learn More...
United States
21397 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve and Bob.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have yet to really break away from Romans, but you guys are tempting me. Any who - one of my Favorites -

Augustus struck under Tiberius

Ok strike, but great portrait and old school holder (even though it's an As and not a Dupondius)

Edited by travelcoin
07/10/2018 5:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3534 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but great portrait

That eagle is pretty awesome too.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6115 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only have a meagre collection of 25 ancients - Started collecting the Gallienus zoo series then branched out just a little.

This Licinius I AD 308-324 is my most detailed ancient.

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (57 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2826 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On vacation so I can’t even give decent attributions at the moment
A few old favorites from old postings .....

Ptolemy II
I am thinking it around 45 grams

My favorite Trajan
Overstruck on a ‘brass’ As of the Antioch type
approx 7 grams

Closeup of reverse

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FVRIVS are you kidding me with that reverse - WOW - Very Impressive
Learn More...
United States
21397 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful Ptolemy FR.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3534 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding, FR.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4910 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is good

Some of my favorite Romans (I focus primarily on portraits)

Caracalla

Marcus Aurelius

Trajan

Quintillus

Macrinus

Antoninus Pius

Crispus

Pillar of the Community
United States
3534 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff!
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.85 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05