Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Triangular coin identification for found piece!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  02:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Blackfrostt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!
My 14 year old daughter found this piece.
We were curious as to what is is! Any information will be greatly appreciated from the both of us! Thanks for your time!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
21631 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  02:31 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community.

Looks like a cut Spanish 8 Reale coin made into a 2 Reale coin. Was this found on a beach in Florida?
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blackfrostt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
found on the beach in texas actually...wow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8213 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely done Ron.

The only thing that I can add is that it looks like both sides have partial inscriptions visible: REX and 17 (from the date).

Added: welcome to CCF @blackfrosst. That is quite a cool find!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
07/11/2018 02:53 am
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blackfrostt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of the information guys! It was found by my 14 year old daughter down Surfside beach in Texas on July 4th.. She will be ecstatic when I show her this in the morning..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7860 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  03:25 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and what a nice find. Texas has some stuff up its sleeve.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United Kingdom
450 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a lovely piece. Spanish dollars or 8 real coins were cut and counterstamped for use in the West Indies. There was no single system in use. References I have create a picture of official marks vying wth chaos and anarchy.

I think the key to identifying exactly where this piece was used is the 'V' shaped symbol. Is it a 'V' containing another letter ( 'T'? ) or is it an arrowhead or something else?

British Commonwealth Coinage
Howard W A Linecar
publisher - Ernest Benn Ltd 1959

has the following possible ( text description only, no images )

Vieque ( or Bieque or Crab Island )
two incuse 'V's one reverse upon the other.

It also mentions that there were unofficial marks, so it could be one of those.

If anyone has more I would be very interested to hear it.

Learn More...
United States
60390 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4603 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.

Nice pizza slice coin
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blackfrostt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for all of the information guys!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05