Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 D Quarter. huh is this? It looks like a blister!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  12:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Brice0113 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Very cool stuff.
I came across this quarter that looks like it has a blister. Its definitely not a die chip or PMD. I have never seen this before so I believe it to be a very rare mint error.
Has anyone else ever seen this before? What causes it?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3712 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its been exposed to heat, probably a torch or soldering iron. since copper has a lower melting point than nickel, it melted within the clad layer, and the weakened nickel “gave way” and warped. At least thats the most likely way for me to see that happenening. Either way, It is PMD.
Edited by Adam_E
07/11/2018 12:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8275 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Post Strike Damage (it happened after it left the U.S. Mint). It was exposed to heat, causing the metal to bubble. Worth face value.
Errors and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1599 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clad coins with trapped gas subjected to a heat source (after strike) can expand the clad layers and exhibit bubble formations. Did this one split the edge apart? Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brice0113 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. Doug, no the edge is not split at all and xray showed no air pocket so thats why I thought it was a mint error. Thanks for cleaaring that up.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05