Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 D LMC - no neck - flat head, lg date?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Trying to identify this one. Is it the large date Lincoln Memorial cent shown in coop's photos in this post? http://goccf.com/t/323586

Thanks for all your help.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8276 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, that's a Small Date, not a Large Date. See this website for more information. http://www.lincolncentresource.com/...es/1974.html
Errors and Varietys.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greaser?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8276 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, that's part of the design. It's normal.
Errors and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7394 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  01:23 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Greaser?

Quote:
Nope, that's part of the design. It's normal.

Wait. Can the OP clarify what may be a grease strike through?

If it refers to the neck, that is more likely to be die polishing.
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking about the neck, as well as the extra definition on the top of the hairline and none to the left. Though, I am also wondering why there is an extra line below the feet on the reverse and on the bottom of the bust on the obverse. Thanks for your input everyone.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23015 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a LG date to me. It has the horizontal lines on the statue base.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1599 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
w/large date. Thinking die polishing has worn down parts of the dies shallow devices. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Yes, the base lines are there. I've compared it to another 74 D (Sm date?) and it is so different. The detailed hair also, from the back of the head reaches much farther to the left, all the way to the tip of the Y in Liberty. Is that proper for the LG date Are there any formal listings of this error? Wexler's, etc?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1668 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A case of overzealous intentional die abrasion. Very common among 1972-D and 1974-D cents.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4272 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23015 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We all agree with Mike all of the time
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
8828 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make BIG notes : THIS AIN"T NO ERROR!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2861 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nope, that's a Small Date

It is a Large date.

Quote:
We all agree with Mike all of the time

Yes we do.

Quote:
Make BIG notes : THIS AIN"T NO ERROR!

Exactly!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30597 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind the fields have been reduced. That would narrow the date devices as well.
I'm leaning towards large date reduced to small date width of devices. A closer view of the bottoms of the '9' would be helpful

The leg is longer on the LD on the 9. The inside loop is also longer further down. Take an envelope and compare the SM and the LD. The loop bottom horizontal with the center the 4 cross bar. On the LD the horizontal line is almost to the bottom of the cross bar.

That coin of the OP's looks like the same die that was over abused:

Same mint mark location. Same thinned digits on the 19 as well.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/12/2018 4:38 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05