Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can you do something about a scrash on a silver coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Portugal
21 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DanielGu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I messed up cleaning a silver denarius, it had litle spots of mud that I was cleaning with a toothpick, all fine until I decided to use a glass fiber tiny brush.... I scrashed the coin and I'm feeling terrible about it, it looks kinda polished you can say... any way to remedy this? (sorry for the bad image quality, the scrash is to the right of the bust), Thanks.

Edited by DanielGu
07/12/2018 5:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So now you have a coin with scratches.
And now you know why we say "Don't clean your coins."
Highly unlikely that you can undo what you've done.

Lesson learned (I hope).
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30239 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tend to agree. How about a close-up of the crime scene?

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
07/12/2018 5:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5472 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just leave it.
Anything you try to do will just make it worse.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Portugal
21 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanielGu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I messed up, but I only clean mud and clay from coins, I know what brushes you can use, but "fiber glass" I just Tought that glass would not scrash silver, but if I look in a magnifying glass the "scrash" looks like the rest of the coin, it polished that spot thats all, I just wanted a way to darken it
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14556 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry about it.

I have seen lots of denarii, both cleaned and uncleaned that are much worse than yours is now.

Just remember that almost all ancient coins that been in direct contact ground burial have been cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9363 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's some scratch ,but it doesn't look deep . It looks more like a heavy scuff mark . I would indiscreetly try to darken it up to the exact color of the rest of the coin .

Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11123 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just wanted a way to darken it

It'll get darker with time
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clean the coin with acetone (or alcohol) and wrap it in a ball of black and white newspaper.
Leave it in a warm sunny place (window) for a few weeks.
It will darken and possibly even "cure" your problem
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ancient collectors are more tolerant of cleaning than modern collectors. We have to be given the condition they are found in.
I'd pull the coin out of that 2x2 and put it into a flip. The air will likely fix your problem over a few months.

I wouldn't worry much about it. It's a nice bust of the "thug" and after a few weeks no one will likely notice your "mistake."

But pull it out of that 2x2. Ancient collectors are more hands-on than our modern counterparts.
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ancient collectors are more tolerant of cleaning than modern collectors

Yes, as stated in this thread, almost ALL ancients have been cleaned at one point or another. Scratches, scuffs, nicks, cracks are all part of ancient coin collecting. Only difference is most coins we attain already have them on it.
Example of one of my favs with tons of scratches and I don't care, I love the coin!

Edited by travelcoin
07/13/2018 08:42 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now imagine if it was a 1909 S VDB that had been buried in river sand for the past 109 years.
The collectors would be saying
"What a shame !"
But it's merely 1,900 years old so we can still say
"Nice Hadrian semis !"
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Portugal
21 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanielGu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the advice I will give him some air to breath and if it doesn't work I'm gonna try the alcohol and sun treatment.

lesson learned, and in my honest opinion fiber glass brushes are a bad version of the brass ones (same risk, harder to use, harder to clean and get worn WAY faster).

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  01:55 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well you will laugh at what I have to say probably but here goes: Silver rusts to a black Silver Oxide and that protects the coin in many respects. So people are correct, air will oxidize the exposed silver back to a more uniform character and look. But you have a decent amount of silver oxide on the coin. And silver oxide can probably be gently smoothed from one place to another with just a few rubs of your finger. It is pretty dark below the chin. Or if you had another silver coin with a dark complexion you did not care about much just rub your finger over it a few times until you see your finger turn black and rub that finger gently over the exposed silver on this coin. Of course just waiting will heal this as well as long as you allow the oxidation process.
Portugal
21 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanielGu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant believe this... I didnt believe you could "move" Silver oxide, I mean you can do it to Iron oxide but its way diferent... but look at this, just after a few rubs

Before:

After:

Thank you soo much, this comunity never fails to impress
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  12:10 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05