Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 S LMC DD? Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking for feedback as to whether the obverse IGWT, Date, MM, Liberty, and/or reverse bottom of column bay show doubling on this 1968 S Lincoln Memorial cent. The last image is to see what you think is going on there. Also, do you think it is worth sending to the grading forum for valuation? Thanks all!

Edited by CinM
07/12/2018 5:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28245 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that's a long scratch above the 1 in the date, I'd say 62 at best if not a details coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12032 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, it's not a Doubled Die Obverse. There's no doubling at all. Also, it's definitely not worth sending in to get graded. It would cost way more than what the coin is worth.
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1513 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin however I do not see doubling either.

Good photos, what is your photo set up?
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! @Errers and Varietys, congrats on your latest find! @coinfrog, scratch is mostly in front of the nose, just surface abrasion or die lines, I think running down to the 1 @southsav I use an Andonstar 500x USB HD Digital Microscope, w/ varied levels of it's led light array as well as a small external handheld mini flashlight when needed and the Win snipping tool saved as jpg straight w/ no editing. Otherwise, too much time saving lg format, graphics programs, resize, unsharp mask, conversion to jpeg, etc.

How about the reverse bay floor doubling? and memorial roof anomaly?
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still see doubling, even w/ notches in IGWT and I and t in Liberty. Why is it not the real deal?
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason why itís not the real deal because it just isnít a doubled die. Canít make a real deal out of something thatís not.
As for the reverse anomaly, looks like it could be a die dent.

Notches you see looks like could be the master die doubling. Check other 68 S cents and you will see the same thing.
I think I also see Machine Doubling in IGWT especially in the U.
Edited by Coppergold
07/12/2018 6:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cooper Gold! I'l figure it out some day. Be gentle w/ me, just learning, I'm a delicate flower.
Edited by CinM
07/12/2018 7:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After watching coop's video on "Die events, One of a kind errors", I noticed that this thread's coin resembles the image of his "counter die clash" image ... not double but as a possible single event die clash? Is this possible or am I seeing a die dent? Thanks everyone!

coop's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGq...-hJCU7Bi7U_C

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31880 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last images you posted is a die clash. But they are not a premium coin. On this year a lot of the coins from 1968-1972 have Machine Doubling on them quite often. The last one shows how the die was damaged from several clash events.

There are several fingerprint marks on your coin. These will not come off the coin unless removed right when you accidently touched it. But on the ones already there, they will not be removed, but if removed, will lower the coins value. So best to leave them alone. So you might save it as a clash event coin, or spend it. No real premium, but neat to show to other new collectors.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CinM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop! I appreciate the insight.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05