Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1798 S-146 Large Cent - Die State Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
New Zealand
141 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Breen notes that for his Die State I, the reverse is rotated 30 degrees from normal. My question: is that rotation a definitive identifier? In others words, is the rotation unique to Die State I? Thanks.
EAC #6558
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14315 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say no. Dan Holmes die Stage I had the reverse rotated 70 degrees from normal so I would say that the die was very loose and could probably come with multiple rotations. Whether the other die stages can be found with die rotations I don't know. The obv die was removed and reground at least twice. Whether they took the opportunity to reset and snug up the dies between grinding I can't say.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
New Zealand
141 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Conder101: I too saw that Dan Holmes coin. I also may have found an example of a stage II coin with a rotated reverse - hard to say for sure (it may have just been sloppy photography). Anyway, photos of my coin below. Stage I or II? Thanks.

EAC #6558
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05