Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this a proof 1910 Lincoln Cent?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had this coin in the grading forum, but I wanted everyone’s opinion on whether or not this coin is proof. All the reverse diagnostics are there but I can’t seem to pinpoint one on the obverse. Is I think I see die scratches by “WE” but they are so faint it’s hard to tell. Is it possible that a reverse die meant for proofs was also used on business strikes? Just throwing some ideas out there.

I think it’s been cleaned because the side is the same color as the rest of the coin. The rims look square but that can happen on business strikes too right? I’m having trouble determining if the surfaces look like a matte proof. What do you guys think?
http://www.lincolncentcollection.co...ristics.html

Here are some more photos (they were from the auction)

College bound
Lehigh University ‘2022
Edited by Buckwill311
07/12/2018 11:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8393 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Business Strike to me, but I could be wrong.
Errors and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7157 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a impaired proof to me, but I could be wrong. LOL

Actually weren't the early Lincoln proofs a matte finish? If so, this may not be a proof but the squared rims look very much like that of a proof.
W.A.N.S. Pennsylvania - 45th Williamsport Area Numismatic Society Coin Show ~ July 28 2018
ALWAYS A great coin show & getting better every year! ANACS will be there for submissions - SEE YOU THERE!
More information http://goccf.com/t/312115
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My pictures also look a little deceiving, the “luster” that you see is from cleaning, it’s not lustrous in hand
College bound
Lehigh University ‘2022
Pillar of the Community
United States
8839 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse rim is BS, note rounding. The obverse was an over pressure strike, depth of details and rim finning show just a solid strike EDS.

Edited by Crazyb0
07/12/2018 10:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7402 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My gut says business strike. I have seen several early Lincolns with outstanding rims, especially on the obverse.
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30638 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It is a normal coin that someone worked on the rims to make them square. The devices are weak like the business strikes. Not a Matte proof cent.

Look at the clear devices on this one. The squareness of the rim is on the inside of the rim, not the outside edge. Take another look at this example.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/12/2018 11:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7157 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Errors and Varietys, I hope you know I said that in jest following your post. Thus the LOL
After seeing coops and learning from spruuuuuu that early Lincoln business strikes are sometimes seen with "outstanding rims". I do think it is not a proof. The lettering on coops pic are sharp and defined which differs on Buckwills coin.
W.A.N.S. Pennsylvania - 45th Williamsport Area Numismatic Society Coin Show ~ July 28 2018
ALWAYS A great coin show & getting better every year! ANACS will be there for submissions - SEE YOU THERE!
More information http://goccf.com/t/312115
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop that was very helpful!
I just want to understand, because all the reverse diagnostics match that of a proof. Does that mean it could have been struck using a reverse die meant for proofs? Or are the diagnostics found on the master die resulting in it being transferred to all other dies? I just am curious why the reverse matches that of a proof
College bound
Lehigh University ‘2022
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05