Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is Anyone Collecting The 2017 Mint Mark P Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 824Next Topic  

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  6:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nonna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had read that this is the first time in 200 years or so that the penny had a P mint Mark and they were only doing it for the year of 2017. I could have sworn I saw an older penny with a P mint mark ... but then again maybe things just start to blend together. Anyone have any insight on this?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8067 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2017 is the only year a "P" mintmark has appeared on a coin.
With over 4 Billion being minted, I can't really see collecting them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
772 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2017 is the only year a "P" mintmark has appeared on a coin.

Not to confuse anyone, it is the only year that the P mintmark has appeared on the cent*. They've been putting them on the nickels, dimes, quarters and halves since 1980
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Complete / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Complete / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 4 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 6 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Pillar of the Community
United States
1102 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, didn't realize 4 billion were made. Sounds like these may be like the bicentennial quarters, cool to find in circulation but only worth face value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're just worth face value even though they are the only cent with the P mintmark.

I managed to get two boxes of 2017-P OBW rolls last year. I kept one and spent the other.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34208 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am trying to put together a roll by searching mixed rolls. I am only keeping the ones that look extra nice. I also keep checking the bay for a graded one,MS67. Problem is the price right now is too high for me. If any of you have a raw one that would grade a 67 or better,please let me know.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I searched about 6 boxes nothing but 2017 P cents never really found anything. I kept a few rolls might break them put and look see what I find if I find a very nice problem free one I'll let you know John no point in keeping them really just wasting good space. Also have 4 rolls of 2017 nickels I got to search I kept just to keep. Then then 4 rolls of 2017 P dimes riddled with chips I don't know if I have enough dip for lol.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13604 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a BU Lincoln roll collector I salted away 20 OBW rolls of the 2017-P Cents . Maybe when my Grandkids are in their senior years they will be worth something .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If one is exceptionally nice, I'll set aside a 2017-P cent (as long as I only have a few and they don't take up space). I do that with any modern coins though.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sounds like these may be like the bicentennial quarters, cool to find in circulation but only worth face value.

The top grades will have a premium, but other than those most should be about face value and many of the average lower grades have likely been saved from the novelty of it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10496 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just have a couple for my albums. And probably a few in the ash tray of my truck.
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm saving the nice ones but don't know why.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10578 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple I'm saving specifically because of the P mintmark. Other than that, if I happen to get some full BU rolls from the bank, I may keep them in case they gain a modest value. I have a feeling that many of our modern cents will become much harder to find in MS due to zinc rot and abuse. However, the 2017-Ps will probably not be included in that because of roll hoarding for the special mintmark.
In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34208 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mrzllewellyn,
Much appreciated.I keep checking the bay for slabbed ms67,but the prices are way too high.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 824Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05