Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

TV Prices Vs Ebay Prices #1

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2018  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kylecolb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is some serious markup!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The TV guys are hucksters, pure and simple. They will hawk a small collection of better date coins--shown in BU condition--and give the BU value, but then nowhere in the pitch do they say that you will receive BU coins. They just concentrate on the date, and then send you G to VG coins. They're assuming that the audience doesn't understand how condition affects the price, even if it's a semi-rare coin. (Which, in most cases, is true.)
Edited by jpsned
08/02/2018 8:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12600 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The TV guys are hucksters, pure and simple. They will hawk a small collection of better date coins--shown in BU condition--and give the BU value, but then nowhere in the pitch do they say that you will receive BU coins. They just concentrate on the date, and then send you G to VG coins.

There may be one that do that but most and the biggest one doesn't. What they say you will get you get it's just pricey
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2018  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification. I've only seen one on cable TV and that's what they do.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I used to watch more TV, I would see those ads for US type sets. Course the ad would show coins in nice shape. But I am sure you would be getting well worn common dates in a "special" holder. Usually just the shipping was more than the coins were worth.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18670 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin prices on TV are like the car sales commercials.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15952 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I used to watch more TV, I would see those ads for US type sets. Course the ad would show coins in nice shape. But I am sure you would be getting well worn common dates in a "special" holder.

Did you buy one and that is what you got? Or are you just making a assumption based on their bad reputation among collectors for their prices? True you MIGHT get exactly what you are saying simply because they can't show every set, but until you actually buy and receive such a set it is unfair to assume they are running a "bait and switch".
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
999 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TV sales guys are hucksters, and tv buyers are suckers. Makes you wonder if tv coin buyers even know of eBay?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05