Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953 Lincoln Cent Damadged Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 839Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
96 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  11:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this 1953 Lincoln cent that has something going on across his face like a split planchet or some other form of error thanks for looking

Edited by tooboocoo
07/28/2018 1:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not an error coin. That's a damaged coin. It's Post Strike Damage (it happened after it left the U.S. Mint). It also looks like it was cleaned at some point as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5222 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
would you be able to take another full picture with even lighting and no arrows markers?
please orient your pic. and rid the excess background.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I see is PMD. (post mint damage).

Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have this 1953 Lincoln cent that has something going on across his face like a split planchet or some other form of error

Is this the right coin? If so the 1953 was split or time traveled into a 1946. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51373 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like scraping or file marks.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2217 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date and part of liberty has been sheared off after the coin was struck ( PSD)

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See we're now back to the future. The 1953 has something going on about the face and neck, just not sure what. The staining or odd toning is hiding it. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2018  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About the 1946 Lincoln cent the T&Y in liberty are messed up the Y dosent look like it ever was a Y and so is the 9 in the date and if you look at the rim on the bottem you can see what appears to be part of his jacket thanks for looking it was the wrong pic for what I was asking the 53 has weird marks from top to bottem of Lincolns face and bust again sorry for the confusion and thanks for looking
Edited by tooboocoo
07/30/2018 7:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello everyone I'd like to bring this coin back up, upon further view and closer inspection of the affected area ,I'd like to point out a couple of spots of the coin which I have questions about,let's start with the hair on the top of Lincoln's head where the affected area is at ,there appears to be a curl in the affected area as well as his mouth where you can see where his lips would have been and appears to have been drug out to where they are now in fact his whole face looks wider than normal cents ,as if you were to push his forehead nose and chin back towards his face they would put everything back into perspective ,just wondering g how a file mark could make his face wider than normal cents ,you can see the curl of hair under the damaged area and where the lips seem to have been dry to where they are now thanks for looking these are just a couple of spots where the filing dosent quite seem logical again thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
3787 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still PMD.
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
1687 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The large pitting on the obverse and recessed area in front of Lincoln's forehead with horizontal lines makes me think damage from acid. (Or a very remote possibility of a lamination.)
Edited by Petespockets55
09/22/2020 09:40 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 839Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05