Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Need To Find Out If My 1972 Nickel Has An Error Ow What It Is On It

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 588Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  7:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finisher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8455 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are referring to the 8,that is what is called a counterstamp.
Someone has intentionally punched it on the coin.
I take it that something is blocking the top and bottom of the coin in the photo.

PS-
In the future, please orient and crop your photos as per CCF instructions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6912 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2018  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

Please let us know what you are seeing as the 'error' -

I agree that the '8' seen in your coin is a post-mint counterstamp ... what else are you seeing?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finisher to CCF...

It seems like you are holding your coin which makes your coin looks like it had been clipped. You might want to put down your coin when taking pictures. Develop a habit to picture the obverse (front) & reverse (back) of your coin for the experts to see. Too, remember to write a note about the information on your coin, magnify the part which you need the experts to look for. Welcome & enjoy the hobby.
Learn More...
United States
94407 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! As said, it's not an error. It's a counterstamp.
Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a cent with a similar counterstamp that I found a while back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a counterstamp; PMD.

to the CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 588Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05