Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM New Release: 2018 2 oz. Pure Silver Coin with Selective Blue Rhodium Plating - Great White Shark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  09:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Royal Canadian Mint - Designed by Canadian artist Emily Damstra, your coin captures the imposing stature of a great white shark as it moves through Canadian waters. The viewpoint from beneath it emphasizes the large size and the streamlined shape of this solitary predator, whose conical snout is in full view. Its mouth is only slightly ajar, allowing a limited view of the famously serrated teeth that provoke such widespread fear. Rendered in outstanding detail by Royal Canadian Mint engravers, this highly detailed portrait includes the faint markings and scars along the torpedo-shaped body, the gills on its side, as well as the shark's dark eye. Adding to a sense of depth and dynamic movement is the wide path cut by the shark as it catches up to a familiar prey: a school of Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus). The reverse also features the engraved word "CANADA", the year "2018" and the face value "30 DOLLARS". The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.

RCM New Release: 2018 2 oz. Pure Silver Coin with Selective Blue Rhodium Plating - Great White Shark

Shop RCM New Releases
Valued Member
Canada
215 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2018  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rjlavoie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit disappointed. I really liked the light blue colour of this coin, so much so that I ordered one. Now I see the picture has changed and the light blue colour is almost black. The light blue was nice as it really looked like what I would think water would look like.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6410 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm... thank you for sharing.

yes, the blue looked very intriguing, and the black similar to "black ruthenium".

But keep in mind the 30-day return policy by RCM.
May be not you, but other will like this coin for 2x issue price
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1176 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I got the Niue coin a couple years ago, I've placed an order for this one - sight unseen. I just hope in hand it's a bit better than either of these artist renditions.
Valued Member
Canada
72 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quasarito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a video on the RCM product page of the actual coin. The darker version is more accurate colour-wise than the first. That's quite unfortunate, as I liked the lighter blue version as well. On the other hand, I like the blue rim of the obverse side and how it frames the queen's head. But nobody buys a coin for the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1176 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the coin arrived, and I think I'll be returning it. For $200 if either of the above renditions was close to reality I would keep it. The coin however does not photograph well at all. The black of the 'plating' is everywhere except the shark, and all the smaller fish are lost in under-illumination. If you adjust accordingly, the shark is a whitewash. The writing on the reverse is also in 'black' making it hard to see. Maybe at 56 years old I'm being too skeptical, but I was expecting better. a couple pics will follow. The video that quasarito linked to, is a better rendition then I could provide.
Edited by Dcadon
10/12/2018 12:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3918 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dcadon: Sorry to hear the coin didn't meet your expectations. I agree, it's hard to keep something that cost $200 if you're not happy with.

Return it and keep the money in reserve for something better! (Coin or otherwise!)

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2203 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first rendition reminds me of the $20 2007 Blue Plasma coin. At $249.95 this was an expensive coin with 0.826 tr oz of silver. Only 3,005 were produced. The same non-plasma version was $64.95 so $185.00 was a lot to pay for the so-called "plasma" effect. Not surprisingly it didn't do well on the secondary market. I just saw an eBay BIN for $114 CAN.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3918 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always liked the design on that 2007 coin. I know the design might be a bit crowded, but I like it.

I own the standard silver version, but have always wondered what the RCM used to create the blue "plasma" effect.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2203 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems,

I too was always curious and I think they used some physical vapor deposition technique to lay a thin film on the surface of the coin, much like the CPUs are made. PVD is produced in vacuum and uses high energy gas ions excited in a plasma - thus the " plasma" name.

"The reverse is finished in stunning metallic blue hues, achieved through a unique, leading edge plasma effect. The RCM is the first Mint in the world to produce this jewel-like finish on a coin, by virtue of a proprietary coating which can produce different colors by varying its thickness."
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1176 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few different exposures of my coin - as promised

Keep in mind - this coin was fresh from the box - there were(are) a few scratches on the capsule - as it was delivered! (another disappointment)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2203 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can understand your disappointment Dcadon. Definitely too dark for my taste. The black waters worked well on the 2012 50 Cents RMS Titanic coin but not so here IMO.

Edited by canadian_coins
10/13/2018 8:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6410 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't want to be negative...just RCM created not the coin, that was promised.

The Titanic coin...I remember how valued the "Titanic' stuff was in the 2012. This coin, the 1/2oz silver coin and the Titanic Privy SML. Yeah, it was.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05