Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1795 silver dollar verification

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  10:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Schmale to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know this subject comes up often and most people are well-versed in it. I am totally new to coins and have the opportunity to buy a 1795. my guess is that is fake but I wanted to get some opinions before ruling it out. Thank you kindly.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schmale to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the best image that I can get of it now. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24039 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Give it a bit and some members who are in the know will chime in. At what price level are they asking?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4953 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a counterfeit and not even a good one.

Didn't even have to compare with a genuine one
to see the differences

Just noticed your a new member.
To the CCF
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Edited by JimmyD
08/09/2018 08:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2386 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
61457 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6188 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a poor counterfeit.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schmale to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you guys! To a Layman it looks nice and old! Do they make the fakes out of silver or are they copper underneath? If it's silver should I try buying it even though it's fake?
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schmale to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller is taking offers, he said that he paid $80.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3842 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's a counterfeit why would you want it at any price?

By the way...a big Welcome to the community!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28867 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4953 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why pay $80.00?
You can get them from China for a couple of dollars.

And no, they are not made of silver.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7177 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:52 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They sell for 1.42 apiece. If you can get it for a cpl bucks it might be worth it as a learning tool. As a reminder of something to avoid.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1729 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$80-100 seems to be the going rate in US "coin" shops for the1795 counterfeits. People probably think they're getting a super deal from an ignoramus seller.

When I've handled these fakes, they always feel light compared to real ones.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
08/09/2018 12:10 pm
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schmale to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the education. I will definitely pass on this and look forward to contributing to The Forum in the future.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schmale to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you guys can probably tell I'm not a coin collector. I'm more of a silver collector and I just thought that this coin look really pretty. After looking at photos of the real original ones, I really want one. Probably the best looking American coin made in my opinion. Because I'm more of a scrounger/picker type, I'll probably hold out until I run across something that looks real, for real cheap. I do come across old coins quite a bit in my picking Adventures. I am usually reluctant to buy them because I don't know much about them, but if I see this one I feel like I have a slight education on it. I know this coin can get rather expensive in good condition, but if I found a real one in the condition of the one in the photo would a couple hundred dollars be fair? Thanks again you guys are the best!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05