Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 United SPATES of America Error Penny with P in States instead of T

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DeathSeeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't believe I found this! It's a 2015 shield penny that has the error of a P instead of a T in States. I have no clue how much this misprint is or how rare but I'm very excited about this one!

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gforced to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to break it to you, its just a T.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeathSeeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really, I have compared it to another 2015 penny and the difference is quite large. It may not be a P but it isn't a T either. It's a combination of both really.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4953 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, just toning or discolourization in the right area to
make it look like a P.
It would be impossible for this to happen during the minting process.
And coins are not misprinted, paper currency is.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2139 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have no clue how much this misprint is

Sorry but that not how it works.
It is important to understand the process which creates the coins in order to understand what may or may not be an error.
Looks to me like some staining/environmental damage is making the T look like a P. It is not an error coin, and it is not rare.
Keep looking. The good stuff is out there....
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeathSeeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've examined it and any way you look at it, its connected to the T, it isn't just there. I doubt it's discoloration. What would the value be on this?
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeathSeeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Btw I've gone through hundreds and pennies and haven't found a thing
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4953 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What would the value be on this?

One cent
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28867 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No premium. It is not what you believe it to be, but rather an image somehow created by physical or environmental damage. Trust us on this.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1390 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, it's just a stain. Not an error, not worth more than a cent.

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Btw I've gone through hundreds and pennies and haven't found a thing

ONLY HUNDREDS?

I stopped counting in 2016 of how many boxes I had searched, the tally then was 785,760 from bank boxes, another 7500 in purchased bags, countless change and junk auction lots. Now add the over 33,000 bulk purchase wheat cents. Then let's start talking. It takes much diligence and a lot of luck added to your knowledge and eyes to be a coin cherry-picker. I have found a few nicer picks, highest sale was $115 Canadian 50c piece, that I lucked into, wouldn't have known it was anything special until I posted here and it was IDed! Keep at it, you just got started!

Oh, BTW, if that area is raised, it is a plating bubble gas and zinc rot under thecopper plating, a normal stinking Zinkin problem.
Edited by Crazyb0
08/09/2018 12:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12932 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The letter "T" is normal. It's not a "P". That's just stains on your coin.
Errers and Varietys.

More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950

Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Pillar of the Community
United States
6188 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a stain. Not an error, just PMD. Worth 1 cent.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05