Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 Dominion of Canada 1$  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add habsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys what do think of this note I picked up?What would you guys grade it?Thanks
Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need to see the back, but from what I see it might of been harshly trimmed. At the lowest grade and most common variety the book value is at $420. At F-12, which is what I can guess with this picture. The lowest price and the most common variety is $1,740.00.

But really the back is needed for full evaluation. Nice one!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4295 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Habsguy
I have already welcomed you to the forum but as TheBurnz
has stated, whether you are posting coins or currency,
also show both sides.
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add habsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for the response.Here is the back side
Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this is the most common variety and my values and grading stand. The trimming will affect its value.

Did you do alright on your purchase...
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but from what I see it might of been harshly trimmed.

- Yes, definitely & poorly trimmed on the bottom which begs the question whether the sides and top margins have had the same treatment (I suspect so). Also, note is quite worn/soiled putting it at an apparent "Fine" (at best on the front) yet edges are so sharp (except at lower right corner). Normally, notes that show this much wear have extensive edge nicks/tears.

It is DC-2a (Montreal SD for Small Date) but missing a vertical signature on the left side. It appears legitimate but these notes were extensively counterfeited. It may be wise to take the note into a dealer to see what he/she says (inspect the Cartier's eye & the word "BANK" below "ONE" as the "AN" of BABN imprint appears crowded on the forgery).

Left corner is practically missing & there are no borders (paper beyond the marginal design). Note is very dark (along with being soiled) on the front while the back appears brighter (which also reveals extensive creases/wear suggesting more of a VG grade). With front being so dark- I wouldn't be surprised if its been pressed with a hot iron.

Extensive processing aims to give the note greater eye appeal (up to a "Fine") but I would suspect it truly to be G to VG with several demerits/impairments under closer scrutiny.

Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add habsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your opinions.I checked the eye and the AN in the word bank and both seem good.Now the trimming part Iíve looked at many other examples of other 1870 notes and they all are all badly cut,some from the buttom/top some from the sides.So it seems a common thing on all these 1870 notes.My question is how did they cut these notes out from the sheet of 4 notes back in 1870?Thanks guys
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add habsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another picture of the front.To it seems not that soiled compared to other notes I seen out there.Thank you
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now the trimming part Iíve looked at many other examples of other 1870 notes and they all are all badly cut,some from the buttom/top some from the sides.So it seems a common thing on all these 1870 notes.My question is how did they cut these notes out from the sheet of 4 notes back in 1870?

I understand that many Dominion notes were printed off-centre (or poorly cut) but the cut is typically straight across the entire note & not curved (like the bottom of your note). The extent of the curve is far more dramatic when looking at the reverse (often the case). The top border/sides may not have been trimmed (only close examination can reveal this). Again- they just look awfully sharp for such a circulated note.

The photo you've just posted shows the note in a better light (far better contrast between the printed design and paper). In this light it looks more F - almost VF but the reverse side still looks like extensive crinkling/wrinkles have been flattened out (or the note was stained). It is unfortunate, but many early Canadian notes were cleaned, pressed and trimmed.

Yes, this series was printed 4 per sheet.
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add habsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your opinion.Its nice to own a piece of Canadian history.
Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess I'll never know if he got a deal or not...

Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add habsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That's a fair price considering the rarity of the 1870 $1.00 printed for Montreal. A Fine books at $2400 and the 2016 Canadian Paper Money Society Note Registry has only 72 examples registered (3 in private institutions). You can find this info in the latest (30th Ed) of Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money (2018).
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add habsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thamks walk2dwater
Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest getting it certified and sealed asap. Nice!
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add habsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Theburnz.Yes that is my plan to certify and sealed very soon.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05