Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does this PCGS holder look correct?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2255 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  01:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Something about the font and label doesn't seem quite right.

Compare with PCGS Gen 4.0 Holder which has bar code on back.
https://www.PCGS.com/holders/Gen4.0
Pillar of the Community
United States
678 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me:
-font looks right
-date row font is a little larger than grade font which is right
-cert # checks out
-bar code matches the cert #
-plastic looks right
-your pic doesn't show a powder blue label, but I'm guessing it is and it just the lighting in your pic.

Looks ok to me. What do you think is wrong?
Edited by BadDog
08/10/2018 08:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2255 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK thanks. I guess I was over analyzing it. The forum offers a good resource when one has any doubts.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1224 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
-your pic doesn't show a powder blue label, but I'm guessing it is and it just the lighting in your pic.

I've noticed some color fading on some of my slabs, which could be due to exposure to light or something in the paper processing, where the color just didn't hold as well. The same sort of thing happened to some of my books' dust jackets -- the purple on the spine of volume 1 is but a pale pink now while volume 2 is as bold as ever. The same purple on the front cover, protected from the light, is the same on both.

The other checkpoints that BadDog noted are what I would focus on. Comparing to the link he provided, the only thing that gets me is that the alignment of the top row looks a little off to me -- the year/denomination row is closer to the grade row. The font in the bottom two rows looks only slightly bold/thick, but it's hard to tell at this size.

Edit to add: It's not impossible that even within a point-generation, PCGS tweaked their own template for spacing and such, or used a different paper stock. The finer points of the font (width of the "0", the loop on the "e"s, even the tail of the "9" slightly below the "1") look right.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
08/10/2018 11:56 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05