Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

latest acquisitions (greek coins)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
France
133 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  09:47 am Show Profile   Check ancient67's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone

Here are some new coins that I have bought during the two last months.

A Tetras from Akragas, a drachm from Syracuse (possibly by the engraver Eukleidas) and an hemiobol from Thasos.

Just for the pleasure to share them with you!

Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3794 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done. I particularly like the hemiobol. Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woah there's a coin with a crab on it? That's really cool. I may have to put it on a list of future acquisitions myself.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8747 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great image of Pan on that hemi-obol. Thanks for sharing!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2920 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No offense intended but
I am skeptical about the Akragas bronze
There have been some truly great struck fakes of Akragas recently but this coin has every indication of a quality casting
The coin is unusually even in appearance with no pitting
The details are all intact yet the details are soft looking and lacking the sharp details of a struck piece

I could be wrong
But I don't think it's genuine

A fake Akragas bronze recently offered by a reputable auction house

The forger was clever enough to include "minor" pitting
His mistake was that each one he made shared some of the same pits as the others
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
08/10/2018 5:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2920 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A successful casting in bronze requires a sizable sprue for the entry point of the metal
Likewise it requires an exit point on the opposite side for air to escape the oncoming molten metal
I see two opposing areas both of which are flattened (filed down ?)
I am very suspicious by nature
Even more so when confronted by two markers like these

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
08/10/2018 5:43 pm
Valued Member
France
133 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Check ancient67's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Furius Rufus your doubts have to be taken seriously. I'll try to inquire more on this...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05