Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fatimid coin identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tunisia
5 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  10:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wizz24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I have this coin that needs some identification. I think it is from Fatimid era but would love to have more details if possible.

Thanks in advance

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
61648 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5230 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is a Fatimid dinar of al-'Aziz Nizar, 975-996, al-Mansuriya mint, dated AH 380 (AD 990/1). Album 703.
Learn More...
United States
21709 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Very nice and interesting coin.
Tunisia
5 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizz24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome! And thank you Kushanshah for your help ;)
I am new to the website, please could you point me the direction to the album 703?
What could be the value of this coin?
Thank you in advance.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Album" refers to Stephen Album (2011), Checklist of Islamic Coins, 3rd ed., Santa Rosa.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
accidental post deleted
Edited by Kushanshah
08/13/2018 10:21 pm
Tunisia
5 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizz24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Kushanshah for your help. I understand the final price is usualy fixed throught auctions but do you have any idea of the average value of the coin I posted? Thank you in advance.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8467 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
do you have any idea of the average value of the coin I posted?

@wizz24, first welcome to CCF. Second, with regard to this question, on vcoins I see a couple similar Fatimid dinars listed for under $100. You would need to investigate more deeply to understand what folks are actually paying for them. Additionally, you could look at the Stephen Album website (sarc.auction) for similar coins, although I didn't see one in a quick check of his current auction.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Tunisia
5 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizz24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Spence, thank you for your kind message and help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8467 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No prob. I hope we get to see more coins in your collection!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am hesitant to give values for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which are the strict laws regarding antiquities in Tunisia. That being noted, the weight of a typical Fatimid dinar is about 4g making the melt value at current spot prices approximately US$150. The dramatic increase in the price of gold over the last 15 years has overtaken the collectible value of many common and lower grade Islamic gold coins. Based on your coin's condition and common type, I would expect it to sell at a reasonable increment above its bullion value. Compare this coin of the same ruler in similar condition:
https://cNGCoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=213243
Edited by Kushanshah
08/18/2018 6:46 pm
Tunisia
5 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizz24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence, I am not a collectioner just a curious guy ;) @Kushanshah, thank you for your answer. I appreciate your concern about antiquities traffic which is indeed a serious problem our country is facing (unfortunately like many other countries in the world). This coin has been in the family for some time and my aunt and I were not able to read what was written on it (bravo for managing to desipher it) and wanted to have some more information about it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05