Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Double Stamped Coins On A Kennedy Half Dollar!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,171Next Topic  

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  4:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add passthepuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to the forum in which I am hoping to get advice from you members. I started collecting coins back when I was 12 years old and stop. Now, that I am 60, and semi-retired, I am looking for a little hobby to get into that might be fun.

On that note, I was looking through some Half Dollars that I own and came across this coin that has a double image on the back side. As you can see, it also has a doubling on the feathering as well.

Any advice would be helpful....

Edited by passthepuck
08/19/2018 4:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8067 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

What you is called Machine Doubling.
Click on the words for an explanation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2217 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! The doubling looks flat so I say it's Machine Doubling where the die moves a little. Not a true double die.

KK
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add passthepuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So...these types of coins ( Machine Doubling) have no Value?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36111 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Correct,no additional value. But you collect what you like. Look around our great site and enjoy.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add passthepuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that bites the big one! I was kind of hoping I struck it rich. I found 30 Half Dollar coins with errors. However, the majority are Machine Errors....what a sad day!
Edited by passthepuck
08/19/2018 6:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is called Machine Doubling, does not increase the value of the coin.

Note that Machine Doubling will decrease the size of the devices and be flat and shelflike. a true Doubled Die (which does often increase the value of the coin) will increase the size of the devices.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! It's Machine Doubling unfortunately. The devices are reduced in size, and it's shelflike in appearance. http://www.error-ref.com/machine-doubling/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36111 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2018  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what a sad day!

Not a sad day,you learned something new and useful
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
91114 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46735 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2018  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Single strike, damaged after the strike by die movement post strike. Happens a lot. The die is a normal die. On a doubled die, the doubling is on the die not caused during the strike. But Machine Doubling can also affect doubled dies as well, the same way.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nibor0313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Folks is it not ALL Machine Doubling AT THE END OF THE DAY, EVERY SINGLE ONE, EXCEPT REPUNCHED MINT MARKS?....To disqualify errors is not right....and lends to unscrupulous bargaining activity on different levels....they should ALL be qualified, graded and valued on their own level and merit
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2476 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:57 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not an error, it's considered to be damage to the original strike. The doubling cuts into the letters reducing the width. If it were a doubled die the letters would have added thickness. The cost to have this coin graded would simply be a waste of money.

The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Nibor0313 but MD is not a doubled die.

With a doubled die, which occurs during the hubbing, the die is struck twice which produces the variety collectors look for. With MD the "doubling" is produced by mechanical issues during the strike and is not the same for each coin struck. And since value and collectibility is largely determined by scarcity, MD coins are more common. (I know I have enough 1969-S Lincoln's with MD. I want the DDO-001!)

There are some Doubled Die varieties that also exhibit MD. The MD detracts from the variety and actually lowers the value.

Some extreme examples of MD are fun to find and can carry a slight premium but generally they are not desireable.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,171Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05