Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Liberty Head Nickels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2018  11:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wizardnyc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was cleaning out my mom's basement looking for some things and found my old collection of liberty head nickels that have not seen the light of day since the late 70's when I was 7 years old! About 40 pieces. Bonus! Most are fine to XF. Still missing the key dates. Just bought a Dansco album. Unfortunately, they have been in a damp basement. Could they benefit from an acetone soak? Likely leave them alone.

Dreamt of owning a 1913. I missed my chance I guess.
Here are a few.

Edited by Wizardnyc
08/22/2018 12:06 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12398 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2018  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great start to your collection. Personally, I wouldn't even give them an acetone soak.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2018  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great set! From a V nick affeccianaddo, nice! wish mine were as nice. Was fortunate to recently pick up the 86 & 12D in AG/Gs for less than $225, just couldn't spring for the 85, it went for 150 more!

Acetone won't hurt, may take off any mold/moisture associated crud. Just don't scrub em!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2018  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice stash! And I agree with Crazyb0 -- acetone can't hurt.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2018  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Crazyb0 says, acetone won't hurt, all it can do is help.
Most of the time when I receive a coin, I soak it in acetone
for a couple of days before storing.
Sometimes you will be surprised at the change in appearance.
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice start to a Liberty V set.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11176 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2018  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go ahead and soak them in Acetone they will be better off .
I have to ask you though ; have your ever cleaned these coins ? They just have that weird look .
Nice V-Nickel collection .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2018  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizardnyc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to ask you though ; have your ever cleaned these coins ? They just have that weird look .

I have never cleaned these coins. That weird color and streaking is from storage in flips in a damp basemnent for a few decades. Acetone here we come.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18243 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2018  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins. I wonder where a kid of that age got all those.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2018  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizardnyc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice coins. I wonder where a kid of that age got all those.

My dad started me off to the hobby by getting me a starter lot and a Whitman folder when I was really young. I did lots of chores for money (over pages for sure), which went into the few nicer coins purchased at coin shows in Poughkeepsie, NY. A few were birthday presents. My dad was great. He didn't even collect coins. When I went away to boarding school they were put away and stayed there until this weekend.

I will always have a soft spot for V nickels.

FYI - The cost of a XF 1883 w/c in 1977 was around $17. Why the huge leap in value over the last few years?
Edited by Wizardnyc
08/22/2018 2:02 pm
Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2018  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizardnyc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PVC residue impacts - slime on most coins. Soaking right now. Some appear to be damaged. 30 plus years in a soft flip. Also,
last coin was purchased in 1979..still have receipt!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4206 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rev. of the 89, does it look like a planchet error or maybe struck thur?
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05