Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Five Ounce Big Coin Series

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add barriecarson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That rim is awful!

Valued Member
Canada
91 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quasarito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing the actual coin on The Coin Show, the rim does not seem to be as big as the digital render makes it seem. It is still too big for my liking.

I am curious to know the motivation for making the rim that size. Was it meant as a unique design to make this series sufficiently different from the previous ones? Or maybe they could not achieve the 5 oz. weight if the rim was smaller or the correct proportion?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
620 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO - this is pure overkill notwithstanding rim loonie
Gonna be a tough sell hence the extra incentive offered at C C & C - bonus proof set.
The initial series was very cool -
Colour series ok
Colville series okj
Rose gold set - loved the SD and penny
This 2019 with lowest mintage - another rerun - will be heavily discounted down the road - hold off if you want it...and save
Edited by Electrum
09/05/2018 11:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
618 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am curious to know the motivation for making the rim that size. Was it meant as a unique design to make this series sufficiently different from the previous ones? Or maybe they could not achieve the 5 oz. weight if the rim was smaller or the correct proportion?

Maybe they wanted to leave more space for S.Bromberg to handle the coin with his fingers. Too many fingerprinted coins sent back for melting?

(joking, of course.)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6532 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So agree with electrum about series of series.

And RCM can 'play' here a lot:
just modify design of one of the coins (let's say a-la V-Day nickel, and it very possible for 2020), slightly change the plating pattern (rhodium? enamel?) and new series is ready.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
620 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somebody mentioned how there is a lack of buzz with September releases - usually a big splash release by RCM
Buzz killed due to repetitive design
Creativity team needs to be upgraded soon.
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
5 oz. Pure Silver Reverse-Gold Plating Coin - Big Coin Series: Flying Loon Dollar - Mintage: 1,250 (2019)

Back in stock at the RCM, if anyone is interested.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
789 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shopaholic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strange! Talisman Coins posted some different photos for the big flying loon coin with no rim and looks a lot nicer : http://talismancoins.com/products/09337

Valued Member
Canada
91 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add quasarito to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@shopaholic: those photos on Talisman's website make the rim look normal for a loonie, but smaller than what I saw on the Coin Show.

@jimper: RCM says 94% sold (of 1250), thus 75 units in stock. Probably a bunch of cancellations after seeing the real deal on the Coin Show.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6532 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might suspect, that will be no trouble with the rim.

Would advice for those, who like the coin:
if it possible - order it from RCM and use the 30-days return policy.

Always option exists, though, that years later the coin will drop in the value...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
889 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased every single big coin series starting from 2015 which means that I have four complete sets but I will not be subscribing to this series at all. Everyone can have a play with the wording used by RCM and Bromberg TSC, and most coin dealers to describe what happened with the 2018 series by adding a 5 ounce Penny AND SUPPOSEDLY only available if you subscribe to the series. We all know that it was a scam. Singles of the 5 ounce penny sold on the shopping channel for 40 bucks more than original price with mintage of 1434 and like how did they come up with that? I did not subscribe to the 2019 big coin series because I truly felt conned by their wording for last year and now once again with this year's series of the 2019 big coins offering up the big penny only with the subscription. I will want this set but I have decided to wait and hopefully to purchase this complete set at a big discount down the road because I am the type of collector that has this compulsion to have complete sets.
Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 67FAN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi NEW1954
I am new to CCF... but you seem to know whats going on! I bought the 2018 set from TSC and my penny arrived "naked" inside a wooden box w/o a red clam shell or its little white cardboard box. TSC said they got them that way. I think RCM sent out their penny all dressed up in its own box. Do you know what happened?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2622 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There is no red clamshell and white box if you ordered a subscription either from the TSC or the RCM.

You received it correctly. All subscriptions come with a "naked" coin.

The only way you would get a clamshell with box is if you bought it as a single.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
889 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@67fan

If you ordered the 2018 big coin series, the final coin which is the penny, did come in the large wooden box. The others before this 7th coin all came with maroon clamshells and custom sleeves. If you only ordered the single penny, it would come with the maroon clamshell and custom graphic sleeve.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tender4848 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ New1954

Ordered the single 5oz Big Coin Dollar from the Mint and did not receive a Custom Graphic Box.....

Just the Plain Black Box

Doesn't appear to be any Fancy Graphic Boxes this year
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05