Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 off-metalLiberty Head Nickels or Struck on Foreign Planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
66 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2018  08:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kyleg02247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys,
I am wondering if there is anything strange going on with this 1912 Liberty nickel, and this 1897 Nickel. The 1912 weighs 4.77 Grams and the 1897 weighs 4.72 Grams. I know they both should weigh around 5.0 Grams with a weight tolerance + or - .194 Grams
which would be between (4.806 - 5.194 GRAMS). Does this indicate that these may be both errors in some way and if it is worth sending in to be graded by a 3rd party grader? I realize the condition on both are very poor but Does that affect the weight really?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2136 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2018  09:30 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) 4.7 is very close to the minimum tolerance and the accuracy of any scale becomes a question at a minute difference.
2)The amount of wear on the coins can reduce the weight by a little bit.
3)I believe that the mint tolerances are just that. If they weighed every coin before it left the mint, they may have held those back. But they don't. The tolerance is a legal limit. There is no physical barrier to a coin escaping the mint below that weight.
4)The burden of proof would be on you to find a foreign planchet that the US was minting in 1897 that matches the coin better.
In summation, I am pretty sure that these are both regular nickels. A 3rd party would be a huge waste of money.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2018  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3)I believe that the mint tolerances are just that. If they weighed every coin before it left the mint, they may have held those back. But they don't. The tolerance is a legal limit. There is no physical barrier to a coin escaping the mint below that weight.

For silver and gold coins they DID weigh each coin to make sure it was within tolerance. In the early years the weighing was done by hand but by the late 19th century they had automatic weighing machines.

Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28835 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2018  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't add much to what BigSilver has stated well.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
08/24/2018 10:53 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2136 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2018  11:11 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For silver and gold coins they DID weigh each coin to make sure it was within tolerance. In the early years the weighing was done by hand but by the late 19th century they had automatic weighing machines.

I did not know that, thanks for sharing.
Of course, being that this is a nickel, my point still stands, but the wording was certainly not correct.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1680 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2018  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you could ask your LCS if they might have an XRF machine, or know of someone who does. this would be the true test to see if the metal is incorrect. most likely the planchet was on the lower end of the tolerance, and with wear it has moved well below.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2018  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weights of the two coins are very slightly out of tolerance, and part of that is probably due to wear. But even if it is/was out of tolerance it is by such a small amount that it would not command any premium. As such it is definitely NOT worth sinking the $25 - $50 into getting it graded, plus the extra fee that would be require to have it labeled as a mint error, to end up with a coin still only worth a dollar or so.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05