Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Value of two NJ Copper varieties

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2018  11:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add arusak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have these two NJ coppers. The first one I believe is Maris 17-b which is considered to be scarce, while the second is Maris 43-b which is very common. I'm not an expert on these so I may have gotten the pairing wrong, but I am fairly confident when looking at the pairing charts while having the coin in hand. My question is how much roughly would each be worth? Does the scarcity actually translate into higher values? Sorry if the thread isn't in the correct subforum.

Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
17-b is an R-3, 43-d is an R-1, very common so neither would be especially rare. Both are in very low grade, although the 17-b is fairly smooth. The 43-d being rough in my opinion would be less than a $20 coin, the 17-b might hit $30 or a little more. Colonials are sometimes tough to guesstimate a value on however so these are just my opinions. It is really only in the higher rarity ratings, maybe R-5 or so with New Jerseys, that it affects the value much. An R-3 has 201-500 pieces known, and it is unlikely there are that many variety collectors looking for one. When there are fewer known competition heats up.
Edited by lcutler
08/27/2018 6:22 pm
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arusak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05