Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1885 CC Morgan, is this a VAM 2B?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2018  9:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tryin2learn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In think this 1885 CC is a VAM 2B based on the photos below. The proximity of the mint mark to ribbon has me somewhat confused. I also included a photo of a problem with the Wheat Kernel Liberty Band area that I don't understand the cause of. Confirmation of VAM and any explanation of the wheat kernel liberty band issue appreciated. TIA
Ps. This 1885 CC is in a GSA case and was little tricky for me to photograph.

Dash under second 8:

Clashed obverse n:

Die break star:

Radial die break from E to eye:

Mint Mark location:

wheat kernel liberty band issue:

Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1430 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is the correct die pair, but the description of the VAM 2b is" Die Break with Displacement. I don't see any displacement by the star. This VAM is one of my Discovery coins and the later die state of this break is rather loud. So unless the photos are hiding a bunch of displacement its a VAM 2a.
"The Necessity of Procuring Good Intelligence is Apparent & Need not be Further Urged"
General George Washington
Pillar of the Community
United States
8576 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the missing detail on the obverse is a struck through error, either grease or possibly some other debris.
Member SSDC
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05