Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

good reference on nova scotia and new brunswick bronze

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1146 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  12:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are there any good books or online resources that go into detail about the bronze coinage of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick 1861 to 1864?
I've read there are some varieties as well as some 1861 patterns struck with different obverse dies to the currency pieces but can't remember where I read it all (though I think the book I had was pretty old so anything recent would good).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
614 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one site you might find helpful:-

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins...rovinces.php
Pillar of the Community
United States
1996 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is "The Coins and tokens of Nova Scotia" by Eugene Courteau, published by Sanford J Durst of Numismatic Publications, 1982. It's a small pamphlet that is sometimes hard to find. I would check "Abebooks" ... it's a consortium of used book sellers that has a great number of hard-to-find publications that deal with any subject that you can think of, including numismatics. I don't know if Courteau also wrote research on New Brunswick as well, but I would imagine that he did. His research and study into tokens of all types is legendary. Look for it.
Valued Member
Canada
283 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trimble to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Abebooks is a subsidiary of Amazon (since 2008 or so). Some of the books from the Abebooks site are listed on Amazon. The pamphlet okiecoiner mentions is there, but currently unavailable. You can always select to be emailed/notified when or if it becomes available again.

Valued Member
Canada
180 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by the_sifu
09/09/2018 3:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1146 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a look at that site and the book but both only cover circulation issues - I'm sure I've read somewhere that there were pattern Half Cents made struck with Peck/Freeman obverse 2 (circulation are obverse 3) and I think there were similar differences with the cents, but I can't find any reference to it.
Remick's British Commonwealth Coins says that the New Brunswick pattern cent has a larger obverse portrait and similar for the Nova Scotia Half Cent and cent.
I've found some images at https://www.ha.com/c/search-results...ilter-071515 but are there any books or websites that go into some detail?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2071 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MR T

PM me with your email address and I will send pdf's of what I have on the subject matter

Wade
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1146 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05