Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice on Compiling a Tudor & Stuart Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
905 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  8:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The woman I share my life with lived for some time in the U.K. and is an avid student of Tudor and Stewart history.

Somehow she became infected with that disease called numismatic fever (honestly, if I had known it was contagious I would have taken precautions ), and is slowly putting together a "One From Every Reign" set.

I know relatively little about U.K. coins from this period, though that hasn't stopped me from sitting with her over online auction catalogs and suggesting things for her/us to bid on.

My questions:
- What is the proper set of reigns to be considered?
- What advice can any collectors give on a type coins from each reign, with the objective to get nice portraits, keeping the cost under, say $300 to $400 per coin?

She's aware that the largest coin from the beginning of this period will be a groat, and that Crowns and half crowns become affordable mid- 17th c. She has a few already (an Henry VIII groat, a William & Mary half crown).

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
614 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When it comes to coins of the UK this has been my "go to" site. Take a look and see if you believe it might be helpful.

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/coins.html
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1251 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get a spink catalogue (if you haven't already got one)
DNW and Spink have got auctions coming up.
Take your time and go for quality.
You can also get great info from Predecimal.com (many members are amongst the UK'S premier dealers)
I'm sure they can help...the majority don't use eBay (IMO a bonus)
Beware of forgeries.There are threads of these rotters with illustrations of the bad boys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
905 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

The coins she has already came mostly from Heritage and CNG (which has an unusually large selection of English coins in their upcoming auction). I've used Spink occasionally for my collecting areas, and we will start looking at DNW.

Is it correct that the list of reigns would be considered to be:
Henry VII (1485-1509)
Henry VIII (1509-1547)
Edward VI (1547-1553)
Mary (1553-1554)
Mary & Phillip (1554-1558)
Elizabeth (1558-1603)

James I/VI (1603-25)
Charles I (1625-45)
Commonwealth
Charles II (1649-1685)
James II/VII (1685-1688)
William & Mary (1689-1694)
William III (1694-1702)
Anne (1702-1714)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1251 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks OK to me.
Your main expense will be on Mary and Phillip and Mary.Devilish to get good examples.
It is also difficult to get a decent portrait of Liz...maybe a Godsend (she was a bit of a moose)
Pillar of the Community
United States
905 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback on the list, peter1234. In particular, we were wondering if reigns of Mary vs. Phillip & Mary tend to be counted separately.

There are some Mary groats currently up in auctions. I've been wondering if the scratches I often see on the obverses are normal wear, or the acting out of contemporary Protestants. And yes, I've noticed that the Phillip & Mary shillings tend to have worn portraits even when the legends, etc. are otherwise relatively sharp. Bummer.

Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jrg_from_oz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having put together such a collection of sixpences (from Edward VI to George III) more than 35 years ago, I would offer two comments. Firstly, it is challenging but immensely satisfying. Secondly, I may be splitting hairs, but I would consider the 1658 Cromwell bust issues to be worthy of inclusion, alongside the Commonwealth shield obverse. (I had to settle for an electrotype of the Cromwell 6d <g>)

John
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13416 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2018  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aiglet7 thanks for that great link, I now have that one book marked.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05