Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Arabic Coin Identification and Date?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3523 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  9:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had the good fortune to get to go through an unsorted older collection today, and this is one of the things I plucked out. Possibly silver in compostion, about 23 mm in diameter, weight coming in at 11.38 grams. Well outside the realm of what I normally collect, but it just appealed to me.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it's dated 1785 so you need to back to the 18th Century unless you already know what it is.

Followup: I'm now doubting about the date because maybe it isn't 1200 at all. Maybe it's year 12 of the ruler instead. I've searched hundreds upon hundreds of catalog images without a match.
Edited by Albert
09/12/2018 12:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
953 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
French India...Shah Alam II.....Arkot mint...Rupee....Date maybe 1200 / 1786....Paul
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces22014.html

BTW...Very nice coin!
Edited by Palouche
09/12/2018 04:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt correct. I did have some parts and Shah Alam II in mind, but images in my catalogs were not dead ringers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3523 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
'm now doubting about the date because maybe it isn't 1200 at all. Maybe it's year 12 of the ruler instead.

Well, I had picked up on the apparent "1200" in the upper left hand quadrant as well, and then also discounted that because there are so many diamond dots that could be taken for zeroes all over the coin that I didn't think I could trust those particular two dots after the "12". But I can clearly see the "25" on the other side, which as a regnal year would correspond to 1200AH, so I'm actually pretty comfortable with the suggested date. Overall it seems to be a good match to KM #15.

Composition is silver, but can anybody shed some light on the fineness of these in that regard?

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
953 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes its KM15...Heres an overlay to show others where the dates are...
Ob...1200AH
rev..Regional year 25.....with crescent mintmark of Arkot...

Interestingly KM states that coins with the crescent mint mark before the regional year (as on the OP coin) were struck in Pondicherry, even though the mintname on the coin is Arkat.

Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the 1200 is apparently right, as I first thought, but then later came to wonder.
I did get the Arkot mint mark, but didn't realize the "25" when browsing my reference images.
I admire the way the color overlay was used, I may have to adopt that method as I catalog my fake Chinese coins.
I'm presently using red arrows pointing to the wrong characters, but this idea of overlaying the character with colors look pretty good.
Edited by Albert
09/13/2018 12:31 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05