Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

XF - UNC designation at auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  1:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add derekjacoby to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I've been poking around international auctions recently. I have a list of condition terms for each country and I've been able to wade through alright, buying a few small things.

I have come across the designation that translates XF-UNC as a single coin's condition. Seen it in German, Spanish, and Italian so far, and it's quite common.

Does this mean that it could be anywhere from XF to UNC and, rather than make their own decision, they are letting the bidders know that it falls in this range. Different opinions are possible?

Thanks,
Derek
Pillar of the Community
United States
9924 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you referencing foreign on foreign grading? As you've discovered, some countries can hardly grade their own correctly, much less another. So your question of left up to buyer is appropriate. Although, I do take issue with any coin that category, it is too wide and vague. If you look at our NGC registry of foreign coin values, the Sheldon scale is used, meaning MS equals Uncirculated while XF and AU are 59 and under the magic number of 60. Buyer must then decide from pix, is it live or is it memorex!
Edited by Crazyb0
09/13/2018 1:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23720 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What if XF is for the obverse and UNC is the reverse of the same coin?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
9924 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1, then according to grading protocols, both sides NUMERICAL grade is added and averaged out. Hence an XF-45 obverse paired with an MS-62 reverse would average would be an AU-53, and since the extreme difference in sides, would most likely get a "details" tag for whatever the reason the obverse got such a grade, as "harshly cleaned" or "Damaged".

No about it!
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was just one coin we are talking about I could see it possibly being XF-45 on the obverse and MS-62 on the reverse.
But the OP is saying he is seeing this designation for multiple coins and in different countries.
So I think they all can't be XF obverse and MS reverse.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23720 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know,I was just stirring the pot
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05