Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Current state large notes/market

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  09:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I've been away from the market for a little bit but I've come back recently and I'm ready to acquire a few notes. I collect large type notes and there are a few that I'm looking to acquire before the end of the year. With that being said, I would like to hear your thoughts on which kind of notes are way up right now and which ones are in a slump. I know its a buyer's market right now and prices are better in general but there are certain notes that are more expensive than usual like the 1914 100's. Are gold certificates rising in value along with 82 nationals which are considered underpriced by many? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks a million

Tylosaurus
Edited by Tylosaurus
09/22/2018 09:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1544 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a general rule, if I'm looking for one, it's up and if I already have it, it's down.

I'll give it some thought and chime back in later.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30452 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How true.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see a down market in large notes that are EF or better...limited population. Star notes are always up as you bring in collectors of world replacement notes.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30452 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, TPG notes in EF or better, especially with PQ paper, always seem pretty strong to me. When you get to Fines and mid VFs, though, the popular Chiefs, Windoms and Portholes are so plentiful that you won't have to wait long before a less expensive one comes along. Bisons always seem steady with few deals available.

It's difficult to generalize. Tell us more - what grade range do you like to collect in?
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always found bison's to be more expensive than they should be with how common they are but they have extreme demand. Similar things could be said about chief's and battleships. I generally collect notes that are in F to VF but depending on the type and the deal I'll collect AU notes and VG notes. There is just something about circulated notes that appeals to me. I don't see the need to have a note that is graded above AU because its practically as appealing as its gonna get at that point in my eyes. As long as the note is evenly circulated and I can see everything including bold overprints/seals its good enough for me. My budget is a bit more handsome these days so notes previously off-limits are in the cards now so to speak. I suppose a large part of my question would be rather to buy something like a F Pokerchip or a high VF/XF 1880 $10; something like rarity over quality. Which one is more cost efficient and which is more likely to appreciate in the future more rapidly? -Edited for spelling
Edited by Tylosaurus
09/22/2018 6:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30452 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your situation is almost too complex to offer any simple guidelines. It is somewhat easier for me because I only collect EF or better large notes by type, and so the options quickly come down to choosing something I don't own at the best price! My personal goal is a top grade example (EF-45 PQ or better) of all major designs from 1869-1928 in denominations from $1 to $20, which of course incudes the dreaded Pokerchip. I am very conscious of price, but do not view the whole spectrum of large notes from a profit potential standpoint - which I think is your question.

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beautiful windom note Mr. Frog! I'm not really looking for profit (I only collect) but I want to get the most out of my money with the notes I choose while prices are still low. I'm 18 so I have a really long time (hopefully) to collect and the market could raise currency prices to levels similar to coin prices. Basically I want to get the best notes I can before they become absurdly expensive.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8834 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a general rule, if I'm looking for one, it's up and if I already have it, it's down.

Story of my life.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a general rule, if I'm looking for one, it's up and if I already have it, it's down

Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30452 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I was 18, I would only focus on high-grade material - nothing less than 45PQ with scattered exceptions, and nothing less than 65PQ for popular notes like the Black Eagle, the Woodchopper, the Sawbuck and even the $10 Hillegas. Once you own a 65 or 66PQ note you'll find it difficult to enjoy one in Fine condition unless it's very rare. Try not to buy a note twice - say a Black Eagle in 63 the first time and then upgrading to 65PQ later. You've got lots of time so take it slowly and deliberately.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8834 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice from Coinfrog -- as always. "Try not to buy a note twice"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1544 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2018  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the general rules and wisdom of paper money collecting has been steadfast over the last decade. Buy the note, not the holder and unless rare, stay away from problem notes. Large size notes with original paper qualities (*PQ) are trending higher especially in XF and AU condition. Mr.Frogs advice concerning not buying the same note twice rings true and requires diligent research, and endless patience but pays off in the end. I currently am a member of five PM forums and search the BST threads for possible deals from fellow collectors selling notes during hard times and duplicates. If you are unable to examine a note in person or lack confidence in your grading skills, then buy graded notes. Most new large size collectors coming into the hobby are attracted to the iconic designs, so Bisons Chiefs Battleships and Black Eagles are always in demand and readily available across all grade levels. We are all temporary stewards of these beautiful, historic and fragile reminders of our nations colorful vehicles of commerce., with unique vignettes and interesting engravings. Buy what you like with patience and research. With the advent of the internet and endless venues to search, today couldn’t be a better time to be a PM collector.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30452 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree and well said.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8834 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We are all temporary stewards of these beautiful, historic and fragile reminders of our nations colorful vehicles of commerce., with unique vignettes and interesting engravings.

Well said, indeed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30452 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve is the poet laureate of the CCF by acclaim.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05