Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has Anyone Heard Of A Coin In An NCS Holder?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  2:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across this Seated dollar but wasn't able to look it up in NGC's database. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3825738857...keTrack=true

NCS is NGC's conservation arm but I've never seen a coin slabbed in an NCS holder
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8712 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins conserved by NCS used to be slabbed in NCS holders. Nowadays they are slabbed in NGC holders.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9021 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to wonder if NCS even touched this one other than holdering it.
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
7093 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming we knew what it looked like before they touched it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3299 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was holdered as improperly cleaned. Doubt there was anything they could do for it.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15823 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NCS was begun back before the TPG's would put problem coins in their own holders with detail grades. Conserved coins that would grade were sent on to NGC for straight grading. Those that still had problems after conservation that would prevent straight grading were slabbed in NCS slabs. There are at least three generations of NCS slabs, the one in the auction is from the last generation. Once NGC began detail slabbing NCS slabs were discontinued. That has been about ten years ago now which is why they are seldom seen today. I would suspect most NCS slabbed coins have either been broken out and sold raw, reholderd in NGC details slabs, or sent to other services to try and get straight grades.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the history lesson, Conder!
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kylecolb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Thanks Conder! Always learning here
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05