Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970, 1973-S Lincoln Pennies, Worth Anything?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 3,977Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  8:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AbstractClouds to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey, sorry if I seem inexperienced at this (I am), but I found two S Lincoln Pennies, one from 1970, the other from 1973, and I wanted to know if they were worth anything. First potentially rare coins I've had during my first 2 months of trying to collect coins or find rare ones to sell. Anyway, I found the 1970-S penny in a penny roll, and I believe it is a small date, correct me if I'm wrong, and I found the 1973-S penny in a bag of pennies that my sister gave me so I could try to find something worth keeping. I'll attach some pictures to this, hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
47423 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Your 70-s is a ld. Both coins are worth face value. In the future please crop and rotate photos properly, thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
25442 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@AC, first welcome to CCF. Second, I agree with @john1 that unfortunately both of these coins are spenders.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the land of Oz.

Sorry to inform you of a vast misconception, but you will not get rich, not will you even make much money selling circulated face value junk. If it were so, many of us would be millionaires. I'm still trying for that third rung of stinkin', filthy, rich...

#1, you have to REALLY know what you're doing, a couple of bogus dootoob vids don't cut it, and most likely are bullpuppies. You gotta study, learn fully what are the coins of value, what really determines them and how very RARE most are. Your chances of being hit by lightning are greater than winning the coin lottery!

#2. You have to search MILLIONS of those round thingys, literally Thousands a week to find any of even paltry worth, believe me, after a Million cents in two years and little to account for it. You have to learn different ways and methods to search, some involving SPENDING money to try to make money.

#3, most of us search not for riches, but for the enjoyment and at times addictively obsessed madness! If you aren't in this state of mind, then coin searching isn't for you... Go stack silver!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
22943 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the CCF and nice way to start a LMC collection. Go out and get a Lincoln folder and plug them thar holes up.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12120 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Neither of those coins is rare or valuable, and the '70-S is a Large Date. Stick around. There is much to be learned and this is the best place. This may help:

Note: I believe @coop created all of these diagrams I used.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.'
-St. Anthony the Great
Edited by spruett001
10/01/2018 01:41 am
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kylecolb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worth $0.01 each
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18205 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , as mention above your coins are common circulated and worth one cent each . If you want to continue with this hobby buy The Red Book ''a guide to United States coins'' . You will learn a lot from this book .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1459 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, although they are not rare, they certainly made less of them than their Philly and Denver counterparts.

I always keep "S" cents because they turn up very infrequently here in the northeast. So even though they're not worth extra money, they're still fun to have--and I like to think that fun is a big part of numismatics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1876 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, although they are not rare, they certainly made less of them than their Philly and Denver counterparts.

I always keep "S" cents because they turn up very infrequently here in the northeast. So even though they're not worth extra money, they're still fun to have--and I like to think that fun is a big part of numismatics.

Indeed!

That '73-S is a very nice specimen and would make a fine start or addition to any Memorial cent collection.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Learn More...
United States
118370 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 3,977Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: