Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998 10c Struck On Cu-Plated Steel Foreign Planchet

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,881Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
Canada
9267 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  12:15 am Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Something eye-catching and cool for a Canadian error. A 1998 10c struck on a Cu-plated steel planchet intended for a Malawi 1 Tambala coin (1.8 grams). Pretty cool, especially since the planchet was very similar in size to the nickel 10c planchet - so it is almost a full collar strike.

This one is headed to PCGS...

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
949 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love those foreign planchet strikes!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10918 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  02:44 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.

How rare is an error like this from the RCM?
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Learn More...
Canada
9267 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CCF member Canadian varieties has one (unattributed), also in mint state. I suspect less than five is probably a good estimate...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
964 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4599 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wasn't these the copper plated trial pieces that escaped Winnipeg ?
Learn More...
Canada
9267 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wasn't these the copper plated trial pieces that escaped Winnipeg ?

Nope - weight is different... and collar strike is much weaker than normal.

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4599 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great to know, have to find mine out, it might have wrong slab label, and a really cool example
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16108 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2018  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This one is headed to PCGS...

Interesting find Congratulations
Edited by Dorado
10/06/2018 12:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2018  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome error coin!
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing find.
Learn More...
Canada
9267 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John100 - nice to see you the other evening. I think your 10-cent is the same as this one (and not a test piece)...

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4599 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As always, a very cool evening, and yes most likely PCGS miss attributed
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1438 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had mine NGC slabbed
Pillar of the Community
Canada
667 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2019  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had mine NGC slabbed

I share in your -ing. What a lovley, flashy piece, surprised it didn't grade higher tbh.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17310 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2019  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint luster suggests that the Canadian 10 Cents is not a copper plated fake.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,881Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05