Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Split Planchets - Showcase And Discussion

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 8,243Next Topic
Page: of 4
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2020  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Monoceros to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there!

I found this coin in my grandfather's collection, is it a split planchet?

Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found this coin in my grandfather's collection, is it a split planchet?

That is one half of a Magicians coin.
Valued Member
Canada
62 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fenian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By far the nicest split planchet in my collection. I picked this up at the 2019 RNCA convention.

2.3 gram split planchet, 100% indent reverse. PCGS MS63.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1374 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zonad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one like yours Fenian, but also the other half. Wrote about them in a RCNA Journal article.
Nice coin.
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Monoceros to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Magician's coin, eh? Very interesting. Thank you for the reply and the link Gincoin43, and thank you for the warm welcome jbuck!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
beautiful example Fenian! thanks for showing it!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1374 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zonad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

one was from a seller in eastern US, the other from western canada.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zonad...that is the best split planchet I have ever seen. spectacular!. thank you for adding it to this post.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is a new addition to my split planchet set. As you can see, this one is a double error and I guess would be described as a clipped split planchet, split before strike.
this one is from 1981 and it weighs 1.61 grams. There is a nice Blakesley effect for the clip on the obverse and strong dovetailing of the rims at the clip. the obverse has a weak strike and the striations from the split are quite visible on the reverse.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1108 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool!
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an interesting post, thanks rob and all who contributed. This confirms how much I still need to learn, and how limited and generic my collection is.
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!! Love those coins with two different errors in a single strike!
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
108 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to present you few of my split planchets.

The first two coins are quite classical for this type of error and show a split before strike with the conventional striation pattern and weak strike.

Coin 1

Coin 2

The third one confused me when I got this coin. I was thinking that was a split after strike. But it's still a split before strike as explained by robmck1967 in the first post of this subject. The striations are quite smooth and were flattened by a normal planchet overlapping the split one during strike. The superposition of two planchets results in a strong strike as shown on the obverse.

Coin 3

The last one is the most interesting. It shows a nice planchet lamination problem with a weight of 1.28g. The can still see a retained lamination.

Coin 4

Let me know if you notice other observations, or if I'm wrong with my descriptions.
Edited by SP67
04/18/2021 08:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1842 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SP67 nice coins. However I believe coin #3 split after strike as the rim would be totally flattened by second planchet. Just my two nickles worth.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 8,243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05