Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 Nickel question possible Henning?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2087 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  8:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got a 1942 Nickel out of a coinstar reject tray. At first I thought maybe it was a Type 2 silver, but does not have the characteristic large mintmark, just a no mintmark Philly like a Type 1. But I thought, why would it kick out of coinstar and into the reject tray. Are there any documented 1942 philly silver nickels without the large P mintmark? It does not have the look and feel of a war nickel...maybe a Henning? I would not have given this a 2nd thought if I didn't find it in a reject tray.

Pillar of the Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably kicked for no reason, maybe it was stuck to another coin that dislodged. I get clad coins in perfect condition and weight that get kicked.
ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1942 is not a Henning year 1944 was the only silver year, What he got caught for!

http://goccf.com/t/298126
Edited by Crazyb0
10/08/2018 8:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8440 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jb, from cointrackers:

Quote:
Additional Info: This is a strange year in that there coins with no P minted and coins with P minted. The coins without the P have no silver content.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What causes that look on the reverse?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too have noticed 1942 and 1946 Nickels look silver. Transitional ?...spectrographic analysis needed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8440 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it would surprise me if the mint messed up their new alloy and included some percentage of silver in the non-silver coins, but I suppose stranger things have happened. The staining on your coin might be environmental/chemical exposure or could be from incomplete mixing of the alloy that allows for preferential toning as it ages.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8924 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a Henning , I agree with GrapeCollects on rejected for other reasons .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8114 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  03:09 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a Henning nickel (it's in too good a shape, for one).

As far as Coinstar, coins are rejected all the time for no recognizable reason. It doesn't prove anything.

The streaks you see may be due to an improper mixture of metals within the coin's alloy. Nickels have been, and are, made of an alloy and that mixture can fluctuate based on quality control. There is an identical phenomenon with cents called a "woodie."

It produces a similar streaked appearance.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24039 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

What does it weight?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28874 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right, not a Henning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6202 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a henning. What is the weight?
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iontyre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver and non-silver nickels all weigh 5 grams, so not sure that is going to tell us anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimNWLincoln to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coinstar find ....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05