Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 Flying Eagle Cent, extremely rare grade, possibly 1 of 1?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7206 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  11:39 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

That's quite a deal for a cent that would easily grade Extra Fine 48 to About Uncirculated 43 at a major TPG...

...well, actually, that would be a grade of "Extra Fine Forty Eight with About Uncirculated Forty Three Details"!

Seller used words instead of numbers, so I know it's not a typo!

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
10/09/2018 11:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7493 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  12:37 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was a nice enough FEC. I think he was off by 10
Meaning AU53 or AU58?
Anyway, I would say it is at least a VF46 or XF44
On the left of most every CCF page, I am trying to remember to use CCF Partners links. They are highlighted in lime green!
It helps CCF a little. Try it!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7206 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, off by 10. It looked like a nice AU+ coin to me.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8956 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By that reverse I'd say VF-26 & 2/3 .
AU-Details ?
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28985 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30 obverse, marked up greaser reverse, not for me.
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do ya mean 1 of 1? I have one, got it from my dad's collection. Same year, looks like same condition.
Edited by NDBirdman
10/10/2018 3:54 pm
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am by no means an expert grader. However, I constantly search the reliable sites (such as NGC or their parent company) researching counterfeits. To me, this throws up many flags. On the obverse: a dimple stretching across the lower curve of the letter "o". Raised residue (note the shadow) between the wing and "America". The upper edge of the coin, looks like choppy cud. Both eights in the date are different. Overall grainy appearance associated with casting. The reverse wear does not match that of the obverse. Am I wrong on my assessment?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7493 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is happening here is that eBay in their infinite wisdom has been shoving another listing at us rather than the ended auctions. Some of us are looking at the original listing (which can be seen if you know how to find it) and others are commenting on the listing that eBay pushes on you.
On the left of most every CCF page, I am trying to remember to use CCF Partners links. They are highlighted in lime green!
It helps CCF a little. Try it!
Edited by TNG
10/10/2018 7:48 pm
Learn More...
United States
13391 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  06:11 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I deal with closed listings all the time and this is very annoying.

If you go to a closed listing by item number, they give you a page saying it is closed. They then attach a different listing and position the page so that the access to the closed listing is scrolled up to where you can't see it. You think you are looking at the listing you wanted, but instead it is something completely different.

eBay apparently thinks if you know the listing number, and you input that listing number, that you really want to see something completely different, and "hides" access to the listing you really want to see! Unbelievable.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05