Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Copper colored obverse quarter date unknown

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  7:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kaitlenmiller19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this quarter it looks to be copper on heads but not on tails. Its also missing parts of design on obverse and reverse. Almost looks like maybe a d on missing part of obverse. Any ideas?

Pillar of the Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe missing clad layer? Greaser? Adjustment strike? Let's see what everyone else thinks.
ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1796NoPole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse is missing the clad layer. I can't tell if this one's legit or not; there seems to be some residual cladding around his eye which would be bad news, but overall the surfaces look nice, not like a corroded or dug coin. The missing design looks like some error to me, but not exactly sure what kind. An extremely heavy greaser? I'll let others weigh in.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1797 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
would need to see photo's of the edge of the coin, where the letters, are missing, I am thinking struck out of collar, as the coin seems to fin out on the right side of the coin..
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zimmy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is missing its obverse clad layer as well as being struck on a tapered planchet. Nice error type on this defective planchet.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8440 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Kaitlenmiller19, at first inspection, this might be a legit missing clad quarter. What is the weight? Also can you please post a few pics of the edge, especially if the layers look odd?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12950 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have contacted Mike Diamond (coin expert), so he can take a look at it.
Errers and Varietys.

More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950

Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kaitlenmiller19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kaitlenmiller19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Around the eye in the picture looks green and corroded but its actually silver like the quarter should be same with the line down face. Not sure why it appeared green like that either the flash or bad lighting maybe..... I do not have a weight or way to weigh it right this min but will try and get it
Edited by Kaitlenmiller19
10/11/2018 8:59 pm
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kaitlenmiller19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Heres a few more
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I Think I would agree with Zimmy, looks like missing clad layer on a tapered planchet.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zimmy is correct, this is a partially dated quarter struck on a tapered planchet that was also missing clad layer.

http://www.error-ref.com/tapered-planchets/

It is an excellent find and should go in a 2x2.
Edited by Chase007
10/12/2018 5:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6202 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I agree with Zimmy.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kaitlenmiller19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it is worth holding on to? Much value to them or just a cool find?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8440 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KM19, I'd still really like to know whether this coin is underweight, but until we have confirmation from Mike Diamond, you should definitely keep it in a 2x2.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  08:27 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wait for Mike diamond but put it in a 2x2 to keep it safe for now
ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05