Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bought my first Chinese Coin in China :)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  05:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this 1906 Cash Coin at Temple Market today. Very happy with the price I paid as well.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!
Singapore
27 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver fish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please check the PCGS website picture of your coin.It look different. Enclosed is the picture download from PCGS.

Pillar of the Community
Austria
501 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Check coinworldtv's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinworldtv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do make fake slabs with well-made forgeries inside.

It is China, you had to see that coming.
Checkout my eBay Store: www.CoinWorldTV.com /// Quality World Coins and Medals Auction listings, starting as low as 99 Cents and Without Reserve! ///
Pillar of the Community
United States
4690 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EconBrony Can you post pictures that are in better focus?

I agree something looks amiss when comparing your photos to the PCGS archive.

My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2018  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area you circled matches on the coin. Pulled it out and looked at it under magnification. Its just a bad picture I took. I cant seem to get a better pic with my phone at the moment. When I have more time I will try to get a better picture with my DSLR.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I took a quick picture with the DSLR. I didn't setup up my rig for taking pictures, however, it is much better than the picture from before. I did notice my camera picked up way more detail than PCGS did, I'm guessing they paid for the lower quality picture on this one.

I uploaded a picture without any editing along with a picture with PCGS and one of mine with red circles on them. The circles are off identical dark markings on the coin. I could have circled far more than that. It does not appear to be a counterfeit to me.

Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After posting I see it is very hard to see the markings due to the size I have to shrink the photos down to in order to put them on the site :(
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2018  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually picked up another coin from that exact dealer last week. Heres the pics of that coin.

Edited by EconBrony
11/16/2018 8:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4690 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2018  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EconBrony This coin certainly does illustrate the problem associated with poor photographs. It looks 100% better in the newer photos and I would say that it matches.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2018  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much swamperbob for getting back with me. I have a lot of experience in US coins, but I am very new to the Chinese coin market. I am spending a lot of time studying Chinese coins specifically from 1900 to 1920, but I have a long way to go still.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4690 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2018  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Chinese coin series are VERY complex and beset with issues only fully understood by experts, in many ways about as complex as Mexican issues. So I wish you much luck in that endeavor.
Valued Member
Australia
279 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"They do make fake slabs with well-made forgeries inside.

It is China, you had to see that coming."

Yeah but you really think they can do it that well?
i think it is real however no expert nor do I specialize in collecting Chinese coins. To me the PCGS case it harder to fake, not impossible just harder.
Valued Member
287 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just email PCGS with pictures and ask them.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Numister Not worried, the picture from PCGS matches the coin, were all good
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05