Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Seller Selling Same Coin 3x?.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  06:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add slapsshot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey All,

I bought a 1908 Indian gold eagle (no motto) in August.
It is graded MS62 by PCGS. When I checked it out using the barcode and got into the past auction prices, I could see the same coin was sold 3 times by the same seller. 2 times in July and finally in August to me.
I do not sell anything on eBay, so I'm not familiar with how this happens. Do sellers bid/buy their own items if it looks as though the auction will not bring them the price they want?

Any insight here us appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4394 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I could see the same coin was sold 3 times by the same seller

Was it SOLD three times or was it LISTED three times?
Many times if something doesn't sell it's relisted.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slapsshot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was sold each time
Here is the coin with PCGS #

If you look at the auctions, you can see it sold in July twice, then to me in August
Pillar of the Community
United States
7178 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either buyer didn't pay, or seller cancelled transaction, and relisted. My guess is that buyer didn't pay.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3013 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you see it sold a fourth time (and you still have it), something may be fake!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you please supply a photo of the reverse
and do you have the 12 digit ID number of the seller.

Disregard. I found the info I was looking for.
Edited by JimmyD
10/13/2018 1:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The PCGS certification page links to all three listings on eBay, with pictures of both sides, from the same seller. Because this is PCGS Secure, there are also pictures of both sides on the certification page.

Given the dates of all three sales, I'm in the "buyer didn't pay" camp.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3412 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I give it 2 likely possibilities: 1) Buyer did not pay and 2) There was a shill bidder attempting to drive up price.
I'm inclined to think it was the latter.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slapsshot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the input, I found this kind of peculiar.
I kind of think after reading your opinions that a good percentage of these auctions are monitored until the seller gets his price.
I just don't see why someone would bid then not pay.

At any rate, it's mine now and I love it.

Edited by slapsshot
10/13/2018 6:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12930 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Basically because they can or they bid on a bunch of stuff and see what they win then decide what they want to pay for and what they want to cancel. They don't get punished by eBay and in all honesty it does seem to be happening more and more.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Pillar of the Community
United States
2044 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2018  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

Basically because they can or they bid on a bunch of stuff and see what they win then decide what they want to pay for and what they want to cancel. They don't get punished by eBay and in all honesty it does seem to be happening more and more.

Must be a full moon tonight - we actually agree on something.
CRH Nickeloholic. Over 1,000,000 nickels searched in three years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets over that time!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05