Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaned Or Original?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  10:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just a quick thought from the forum. I for one have many coins in my collection that were cleaned at some point in they life span. Although not enough to distract from an original surface coin. I have steered clear of those that were harshly cleaned, polished or scratched. The way I see it, at some point a one-hundred and fifty year old coin has quite possibly been cleaned in some fashion. Even those graded by TPG. So my question is, what are your thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just a quick thought from the forum. I for one have many coins in my collection that were cleaned at some point in they life span. Although not enough to distract from an original surface coin. I have steered clear of those that were harshly cleaned, polished or scratched. The way I see it, at some point a one-hundred and fifty year old coin has quite possibly been cleaned in some fashion. Even those graded by TPG. So my question is, what are your thoughts?

Ballyhoo! Some pictures of coins in question from your collection would be helpful. Your question is best assessed on a coin by coin basis. Or at the least, on a coin type basis.
Cleaning of certain coin types are more accepted and less frowned upon than others. Common series are always more heavily scrutinized. The more scarce coin types tend to get a break.
What types do you have in your collection?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The way I see it, at some point a one-hundred and fifty year old coin has quite possibly been cleaned in some fashion. Even those graded by TPG.

For sure. Many older coins, especially in the Bust and Seated series, have been cleaned and have re-toned since then, and graded as market acceptable by a TPG.

If you have specific questions about a coin, post some pics and we can help.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05