Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins With Hats

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,977 / Views: 79,961Next Topic
Page: of 132
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5708 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There aren't many crowns on display within the US commemorative coin series, but the series' first quarter dollar coin was also the first to present one.

On the obverse of the 1893 souvenir quarter struck for the Board of Lady Managers of the World's Columbian Exposition is a portrait of the Spanish Queen, Isabella I of Castile; Isabella and her husband, King Ferdinand V, sponsored Christopher Columbus' 1492 voyage to the New World. She is depicted facing left and wearing a jeweled crown.

The Isabella Quarter marks the first time a foreign monarch appeared on an official US coin. It was also the only time until the Hawaiian monarch, King Kamehameha I, appeared on the 2008 Hawaii State Quarter.

1893 Isabella Quarter Dollar

I have previously posted more detailed information about the Isabella coin here: 1893 Isabella Quarter.

Other of my posts about commemorative coins, classic and modern, are here: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5708 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial commemorative half dollar was sponsored by the United States Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial Commission. This Commission was created by the US Congress through the combination of separate local anniversary committees in Lexington and Concord.

The coin features Daniel Chester French's "The Minute Man" statue on its obverse; the reverse depicts the famous Old Belfry. The bell in the Old Belfry was used to call the local militia to arms to defend against the advancing British on the morning of April 19, 1775.

The minute man depicted by French's statue is shown wearing a hat typical of the design worn in 1775. The hat was transferred to the coin by Chester Beach who prepared the final designs and models for the coin from design sketches given to him by the Commission.

Minute Man Statue near the Old North Bridge in Concord, MA. (Image credit: Wikimedia Commons via Creative Commons License)

1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

My previous posts about the coin can be found here: 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial and here: 1925 Lexington-Concord Ephemera

Other of my commemorative coin posts can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Argentina 5c, 10c, 20c War years.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Turkey 2002 1,000,000 Lira

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8517 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IndianGoldEagle - love the Turkish coin!

Anglo-Saxon helmet - no protection against Norman arrows!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5708 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@IndianGoldEagle: I was unfamiliar with the Argentinian coins you posted - yet another example of the phrygian cap being used as a symbol of freedom/liberty - I like them! Thanks for posting!

In a similar vein...

The US Mint struck multiple coins for the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition. Of most interest here are the silver half dollar and the gold one dollar coins.

The obverse of the half dollar depicts Columbia scattering flowers into San Francisco Bay as she looks out onto the Golden Gate and a setting sun. There is a cherub behind Columbia holding a cornucopia full of additional flowers; the cornucopia and flowers are meant to represent the "boundless resources" of the American West. Columbia is shown wearing a Phrygian cap - a liberty cap; the Phrygian cap as a symbol of freedom dates back to the American and French Revolutions of the late 1700s. A similar brimless cap, the pileus, dates back to Roman times when Roman slaves were given such hats when they were freed. The cap is a common device used to symbolize freedom/liberty on coins from many countries around the world.. The design is the work of Charles E. Barber; George T. Morgan created the reverse design.

1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition Half Dollar

The Exposition's gold one dollar coin presents a left-facing, unnamed Panama canal worker wearing a short-brimmed cap; it is not a baseball cap, though such caps of the time did have short brims similar to the one shown on the coin. The cap is just one of many different styles of hat worn by canal laborers, and shouldn't be construed as any type of standard for all workers. The design was created by Charles Keck.

1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition Gold Dollar

One of my previous posts about the Panama-Pacific Exposition coins can be found here: 1915 Pan-Pac Half Dollar - Revisited.

Other posts about the coins can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1327 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No capping these beuties!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=387871
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5708 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the only Congessionally-authorized silver dollar of the classic era of US commemorative coins - the 1900 Lafayette Dollar. (The 1921 Peace dollar is also commemorative in nature, but was minted under the US Treasury Department's existing authority and did not require an Act of Congress.)

The reverse of the coin features an early version of the Lafayette equestrian statue sculpted by American artist Paul Wayland Bartlett. On this version of the statue, Bartlett depicted Lafayette wearing a tricorn hat. (During Lafayette's time, it was called a "cocked hat," the former term not coming into general use until the mid-1800s vs. mid- to late-1700s.) The coin's models were prepared by Charles E. Barber.

1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar

Bartlett's final version of the statue, erected in Paris, France, presents Lafayette without a hat and an upraised arm and sword. Here's a picture of it on its pedestal:

Image is from the George Grantham Bain Collection held by the US Library of Congress. Image is in the Public Domain.

I've previously posted details about the Lafayette Dollar: 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar and here: 1881 Yorktown Medal vs. 1900 Lafayette Dollar.

Other of my commemorative posts can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Egypt 1942 2 Piastre

Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Page: of 132 Previous TopicReplies: 1,977 / Views: 79,961Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05