Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

VAM Mystery Warning, Large Post

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2008  10:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this yesterday as Vam165. Mystery solved. With a lot of help from the fellas on Vamworld, Vam122.

Pictures of P L U match pics of Vam165 in the book.

Note spike on front of P, bar on inside of L and spike on left inside of U. Matches Vam165 pics to a tee.

Note break on top of R. Vam164 mentions break of R but pics show it to be on inside upper loop. Now look at pictures of Vam187, looks close to me although r in trust is not broken on my coin.
Now lets bring in Vam100.

Die chip protruding from u and chip between above lower serif of s.Not sure on the initial raised or just doubled.
If more close ups are needed, no problem.
Close up of B and r in trust.

Edited by MorgansRmine
07/21/2008 6:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2008  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Looks like a broken B also (pluribus) hard to tell by photo.
may be doubled too as this happens on the 78. Hard to see the R in trust. There are 3 diff. types of broken R.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2008  03:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ocsjr2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin you bought is a second obverse (II) which is the large ear fill, unevenly divided rear portion of ear and no lines in wheat leaves below the R. This rules out VAM 100 (Obv.I,evenly divided ear) and VAMs 160-171 (Obv.II/I,sharp pointed inner ear fill, evenly divided ear rear). How about a complete picture of the R (you chopped off the right leg) and a close up of the eye. VAMs 185-189 and 197 are in the running now. With 197 , we'd have to move to parts of the Reverse. And don't take it back because it's not a 165!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2008  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oscjr, some more pics. Sure looks like B2F reverse.

Close up of eye. No spikes but eyelid looks doubled or tripled.

Close up of R I S and UNUM.

Some other oddities about this coin. Forehead to bridge of nose slightle doubled. Top of cap doubled. Liberty doubled left except Y. Can't see any doubling of cotton bolls. 7 on date slightly doubled on right side.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2008  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ocsjr2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your right about the B2f reverse and that would leave you with a VAM 197. The other B2f reverse coins are Obv.II/I, thus ruled out. Your last set of pictures also did away with 187, the R was as expected but doubling on other letters was on the wrong side and no spikes out of the front of the eye and then the Rev. killed it too. Hope this has helped and not hindered. Nice looking coin by the way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2008  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oscjr, you've been a great help. I've kinda ruled out Vam197 due to revised description on the Ashmore site. It states, slightly doubled UR-BUS-UNU at top inside of letters towards coins center. Wonder if this could be a new sub varity of Vam197 ? Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but the letters look rather radically doubled than slightly.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2008  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ocsjr2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used Leroy's 1878P 7TF M.D.Attribution Guide for help on making a choice on this one. It has alot of the little things to look for, way more then what's in the big VAM book, and is available from Leroy. I've been wrong before and more than once, so if your still in doubt then I would suggest sending it to Leroy. Your cost would be postage, handling and ins. both ways and he will tell you exactly what VAM it is or assign a new one to it. You can't beat a deal like that with a brand new set of beaters!
Pillar of the Community
United States
527 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2008  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NGiles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No matter what the VAM is, that coin is a beauty. Thanks for sharing it with us.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05