Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toning Like A Ticking Clock...

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  03:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
3.5 years ago...

1918 Mercury Dime by CaptainFwiffo, on Flickr

Today...

1918 Mercury Dime by CaptainFwiffo, on Flickr
Valued Member
240 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin appears to be in a PCGS holder. (I noticed the three plastic pieces on the rim of the coin.)

So, why is it changing color? I thought these holders were designed to preserve the coin within. Was there something on the surface of the coin before it was placed in the holder? Or, have you exposed the coin to high temperatures for a long period of time. (High temperatures accelerate this chemical reaction/process.)

I have lots of coins in various kinds of holders. They have been there for many years and some for decades. I keep them in a cool dry place ... and I don't see these kinds of changes in color.

Inquiring minds want to know...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3906 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting progression.
Can you provide some details about the environment and other items you have near this coin?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18556 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had Mercury dimes in Whitman Albums for many, many years and nothing like that happened. Must be where you keep it.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4224 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS/NGC slabs are not totally sealed so less than ideal storage conditions can (and will) cause changes.
And things can happen faster in geographic areas that include lots of humidity and significant temperature changes.
The American southeast quickly comes to mind.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3.5 years ago... Today...
Very interesting.

Quote:
Must be where you keep it.

Quote:
PCGS/NGC slabs are not totally sealed so less than ideal storage conditions can (and will) cause changes.
Agreed. Storage environment is just as important for slabs as it is for albums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is in a PCGS slab. I store it with other coins, in an album with other slabs, mostly containing other toned coins, and those are not changing (or none that I've noticed). They're on bookshelf in a dry, air-conditioned room. I also live in an area with a dry, stable climate and very little weather.

I suspect whatever caused the original toning is still present on the coin; it does have a bit of a dirty/grimy appearance.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15823 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd, on my screen it looks like the toning is getting lighter.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
282 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine, too. We're the most images inadvertently reversed?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lighting and processing are different between the two. The main difference in toning is that the metallic blue color is creeping in from the edges, and it's also developed some dark spots.
Valued Member
240 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wondered if this was a "Photoshop" job (processing) or light color, but your comments about 3.5 years later and toning like a ticking clock prompted me to ask questions.
Edited by jmwilson
10/24/2018 08:23 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had silver coins tone in holders, and some even develop ugly dark spotting. One of them PCGS did their magic and removed the spots and re-holdered.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. My first thought is that there must be some form of contamination left on the coins surface.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's undeniable that coin has toned further in the slab. But it's also a major concern.

I've heard of Indian cents changing from red to brown which severely impacts the value of the coin. But this is the first silver example I've seen that has changed in the holder.

One of the benefits of storing coins in a TPG holder is the assumption that the coin will be preserved in its present form and will be protected from the elements. So when you see toning changes like this happen inside of a TPG holder it's a bit unnerving.

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of the benefits of storing coins in a TPG holder is the assumption that the coin will be preserved in its present form and will be protected from the elements. So when you see toning changes like this happen inside of a TPG holder it's a bit unnerving.

Mike, unless placed in a vacuum, all silver coins will continue to oxidize.....just no where close to the timeframe this particular piece has. That is why my first thought was that there must be some form of contamination still present on the coins surface. Of course if the original toning was artificially accelerated, we could also expect to see continued degradation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you guys think an acetone bath before the submission would have stopped the toning progression?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05