Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981 cent struck on a Dime or Nickel Planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  04:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yellzaboff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Group,

Earlier I was roll hunting and can across this beautiful coin and it had a very small green patch beside the head. I dabbed a cotton ball with acetone and real lightly tried to remove it. To my astonishment it turned silver. Did I remove plating that someone did? As far as I know this coin is supposed to be solid copper. I researched and found some 1981 cents struck on Dime planchet for sale and was wondering if that is what I have here. Thanks for y'alls help

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1475 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They used copper planchets until the year 1982, sometime during the end of 1982 they went to copper plated zinc planchets due to the rising price of copper. Your cent is not plated and is copper. Weigh it, if it weighs 3.1 then it's copper, if it weighs 2.5 then you have a small fortune in your hand.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yellzaboff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is it silver in color under the copper?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1475 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever caused the discolor to begin with may have had a chemical reaction to the acetone used. That would be my best guess. I can say this with certainty, it is the correct planchet. It was not struck on a dime or nickel planchet.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yellzaboff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thank you Jim. Before I used acetone however, it was in pretty much uncirculated condition. No discoloration what so ever. Would it be smaller in size or something, it it were a Dime planchet? Or Nickel? Just curious. I'm just trying to understand. Thanks again Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
6857 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Size and strike would not appear normal if this was a dime planchet. It's struck on a normal planchet. Most likely the acetone reacted with whatever was on the surface.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yellzaboff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank y'all very much
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1475 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope we were able to fill in the gaps for you. There are many chemicals/substances that can change the toning on copper. You can take a magic erase pad and turn a copper coated zinc cent from copper to red/blue toning. After a while you can easily tell the difference in a chemically altered planchet and natural toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32771 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins also tone according to their surroundings. If it were exposed to something, it can alter the color of the coin. Areas where sulfur content is high can turn coins yellow in color. (affecting silver coins)
Moisture on copper coins can turn them green.
(Sorry no image)
Album storage can alter coins.

A BU cent in a album with the plastic slides.

Coins exposed to heat can alter the color.

Storing coins in envelopes can make them dark.
(Sorry no image)
Fingerprints:

Sneeze droplets can make freckles appear on coins.

Saliva can turn coin a darker brown.
[img[https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49...iva_cent.jpg
Coins found outdoors and turn them a medium dark brown in color.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yellzaboff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.. Is it ok to store in little plastic craft bags?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1440 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area looks to be rectangular in shape, so there may have been something placed on the coin that reacted with the copper.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32771 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not. If the plastic has PVC in the them, they will tone the coins also. Best to use the 2X2's or the non PVC flips. Inside a loose bag the coin can damage them just from movement of the bag. I prefer the 2X2's. The soft plastic flips are know for altering coins. The stiffer ones are better. The soft square tubes also alter the color on BU cents. Again the hard tubes or clear plastic tubes are better. I prefer to buy them online used in larger quantities. I prefer the ones from the 1960's that have the clear plastic lids that lock. But the ones with the white lids are OK also. Check on your collections from time to time to see if they are still safe.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yellzaboff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did some research on the bags I used and are made from poly. NGCS claims poly will not hurt coins, Once I put in bags, they are put in stationary place, never really moved again. I bought 30 100 packs and have a half pack left... PLEASE tell me I safe from corrosion, as I can't phantom switching holders &
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yellzaboff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05