Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Damaged 1982 penny 3.1g

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  6:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rookie2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, my name is Evan. I Bought some rolls from bank and I I think I stumbled upon 1982 small ? Date penny that weighs 3.2g. But it appears damaged? I wonder how common these are and are they worth anything? I'd gladly appreciate everyone's feedback. I apologize for any grammatical mistakes I've made as I'm typing on my phone and I'm esl.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All 1982 types are common, except for a small 1982 D copper. D as in Denver.
The small 82 D copper is not supposed to exist, but apparently one such coin does exist and it sold for $18,000+
It is IMO an error coin (as opposed to a variety) i.e. struck on an incorrect planchet, which coincidentally is a cent planchet. Just like a 1943 copper and 1944 steel.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29503 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large Date, nice mid-aligned die, but nothing that special.

to the CCFF!
Edited by Coinfrog
11/06/2018 7:12 pm
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rookie2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big silver, thanks for reply. I do have 1982 d as well but it's a little shy of3.1g. It weighs 3.08 and I can't tell if it's a large or small date
Take a look

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5213 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's also a 1982D Copper Large Date.
Use the search forum at the top of the side bar to find numerous
other posts on the same subject. There is a wealth of information
there on many of the commonly asked questions.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29503 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a simple lesson, easily learned.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rookie2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. Will try to use search before posting. Thanks for feedback
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8707 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rookie, with regard to your first coin, the frog pointed out that it was struck with a slightly mis-aligned die. You can see that the rim is a little thicker on one side. As you are just starting out, you might consider saving that coin as it is a nice example of this phenomenon. The misalignment was not severe, so there is probably no numismatic premium, but it is a nice starter coin to have and compare against future finds.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14568 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a nice example of a misaligned die, but I would only hold it (if you are wanting a example) until you find one that is not damaged. They aren't that hard to find.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05