Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"World Encyclopedia of Coins," A great fun read for world coin collectors!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  01:15 am Show Profile   Check Johnathan55's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Johnathan55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've posted a lot of questions on this forum. "What is this coin/token?" "What grade is this coin?" "Is this Chuck-e-cheese token I found on the ground worth anything?" "Should I clean my coins with a brillo pad or a paint scraper?", And I've gotten fantastic and informative responses in every single thread. (The answer to the last one is "Stop, you lunatic!" )

Well today I thought i'd give back a little and spread the word about this great (but surprisingly obscure) book I found.

The World Encyclopedia of Coins & Coin Collecting is a book solely about the history behind world coins (no prices), and features passages on countries from six of the seven continents. (Start making coins and join the club, Antarctica!)

It's 256 pages long and only does a deeper historical dive on a few countries (United States, Great Britain, Germany, etc) while summing up most of the worlds coinage history on two pages per region/country.

But they put a lot of thought into those two pages, and they do a great job of detailing most of the different currency types and denominations found across the world, and gives a brief description of how they came to be. not EVERY country is in here, and some countries are grouped together by region, but it's still pretty informative.

And since most of the countries/regions only have two pages, it makes the book a quick fun read as you travel across the earth, page by page.

Sounds fun, huh? Well... There's just one catch.

As of 2018, Digital copies of this book do not exist. Anywhere. Kindle? Nope. Pdf? Nope. So if you want to read this book, you'll have to buy a physical copy from somewhere, Which is why this book is so obscure! (I got mine used off of Amazon, looks like some new ones came back in stock finally.)

So if you're just starting out in the world coin collecting hobby and are interested in a quick history lesson of the coins you collect, I highly recommend this book.
Edited by Johnathan55
11/08/2018 01:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info.
I'll have to check it out.
Learn More...
United States
62402 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2817 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post Jonathan
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05