Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How easy is it to get coin rolls in European countries (especially France!)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  11:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add goldeneye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I will be making a trip soon to Europe, and I am intending on getting one roll of coins for the 2 and 0.50 - and the countries will include (but not limited to!) France, Germany, the Baltic States and Finland.

The question is, how easy is it to get a coin roll or two especially if you are not a customer of that bank (especially in France!)

What are the easiest countries to get a coin roll or two in Europe? I almost learned the hard way last year when it took me at least four banks until I found one willing to sell me a small coin bag of each of the 2 and 0.50 (equivalent to a roll).

That said, from that CRH in Europe, I pulled six commemorative 2s, including an 2016 Irish Easter Rising and a 2006 Italian Turin Olympics, as well as one 2013 Maltese, an Unc 2015 Irish and a 2008 Cypriot.

From the 0.50s, I found several nice Uncs, including Irish 3x2005s, 1 2007 and 1 2009 (not a common date!) as well as a Maltese and a Cypriot (both 2008 and circulated).
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4217 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  04:53 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi goldeneye!

In my experience, it's certainly more difficult to get rolls in France than it was about 40 years ago. Partly this is due to banks often now looking more like furniture showrooms with a tiny 'caisse' in the far corner where someone actually handles cash! Also I daresay the bank clerks were more likely to be nice to a teenage boy trying to speak French than to a middle-aged man who speaks the language fluently...

It helps if you have an account with a bank somehow associated with the European bank. If you've got an account with HSBC or Santander, and go to a branch of the same bank in a European country and brandish the appropriate card, in my experience they won't refuse you. I also think you'll be OK getting coins if you are exchanging foreign currency at the same branch.

I've also had success getting rolls at French post offices and at branches of the Banque de France - the latter are found in big cities and look quite intimidating, usually huge old neo-Classical buildings with buzzers on the doors and someone inside asking what you want. But they've never refused me when I've either asked for change or asked to exchange unwanted coins for banknotes.

I've seldom tried roll hunting in Germany, but last year I went into a completely random bank in Hamburg and got rolls of 2-euro, 5-cent and 2-cent coins without any problem!

I've never tried getting rolls in Finland or the Baltics.
Edited by NumisRob
11/09/2018 04:54 am
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05