Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Washington 1932-D - Questionalbe mintmark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  7:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Playadelrey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've received some feedback on the D mintmark on this coin ranging from 1) looks fine, 2) looks like there is something underneath it, 3) deep shadows make it look a bit off. So I thought I put it to this forum too. These few other folks all saw it in person. I know pics are more difficult to navigate. Could be a fake mintmark put on, legitimate but worn strangely, double punched mint mark? Thanks all.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8734 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PDR, after enlarging and enhancing your pics, the mm could be added but a better close-up pic would definitely help.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Playadelrey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence - I would agree about better pics. I'll need a bit of time to get my good camera out and get some pics. Hopefully they may be better. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29555 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From a distance, this appears typical for the date, but close-ups will help.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Playadelrey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the best I can do with enhanced photos of the "D"

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6884 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say - that wouldn't be glue residue from North to East around the D would it?
"I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I have to buy something."

Working on a Dansco 8166 Kennedy half album. 131pcs ,of 160 total, so far
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Playadelrey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no glue whatsoever. What may look like glue in these pics is metal of the coin, like the d was laid on top of something, but that wouldn't make sense since it would be laid on top of what would have to be an s. I don't think repunched mint marks exist in this situation. A false d may have been added but I have no reason this is the case- it's been in a family collection for 50 years and no point of falsifying a not very high grade coin.This is a tricky one. I may have it slabbed next time just I can just to see what it comes back as. Thanks Mark.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8734 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
no point of falsifying a not very high grade coin

@pdr, you might be surprised at what we see for fakes here on CCF. From a current financial standpoint, this coin is worth a few bucks if from Philly, but almost $40 if from Denver. Of course, the difference in values was not as great back when this coin came into your collection, but there was still some financial incentives even back in the 1960s.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5715 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As an example.
A clear picture it looks like this :

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Playadelrey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try to close the loop on this question I had by pulling in a picture from a post on this site from a few years ago on the same issue. My coin has the exact look as image 4, which is real, as is image 1.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...4667-_1_.jpg
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14574 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and no point of falsifying a not very high grade coin.

I seen added MM 32 D and S quarters down to AG
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5715 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll try to close the loop on this question I had by pulling in a picture from a post on this site from a few years ago on the same issue. My coin has the exact look as image 4, which is real, as is image 1.

Can you provide the link to access to this post?

Thanks!

http://goccf.com/t/267891
Edited by Dorado
11/12/2018 08:16 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05