Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 1976 Double Clip (Maybe)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
680 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  1:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is one that I always thought was a double clip but I now suspect that the larger one is not a real clip. It doesn't appear to fit the arc of a normal penny.
I'm still somewhat uncertain because there does appear to be some blakesley effect.
Can anyone tell from the pictures if these clips are both real or not?

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2400 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're both real. On large clips, the curvature of a clip doesn't always exactly match the coin's, due to the striking pressure causing the metal to expand.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36573 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take your word for it. The larger one's edges seem too abrupt to my eye, but I have little experience.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4026 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO the smaller one might be a clip.
The larger one isn't.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8459 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
717 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks good to me
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1018 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say both are legit, look carefully and there is blakesly for both
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1625 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would say if the coin was at an angle (not lying down) or perpendicular to the punch when it was struck the result would be an eliptical circle or in this case arc
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Canada
716 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
both clips look legit to me. the width of the blakesley effect opposite the large clip matches the width of the clip, there is slight dove tailing of the rim (although not a lot), and it is common for larger clips to not be exactly symmetrical. plus the tip of the leaf weakens as it nears the clipped area. if this was faked, the leaf wouldn't weaken, it would appear cut off. Nice one!
Learn More...
Canada
8465 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Legit (especially with the edge view of the clip). Larger clips often can get deformed (and not match the shape of the intended coins) when in the upset mill to turn blanks into planchets.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
680 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for the help on this one.
I feel a lot better marking it as legit now.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@kanga: IMO the smaller one might be a clip.
The larger one isn't.

I agree with this...

I see very few thing on this coin that makes me think the large clip is authentic. On the other hand, I see several points that make me doubt.

But it is always difficult to be 100% categorical without the coin in hand.
Edited by ainsivalavie
11/19/2018 7:12 pm
Valued Member
Canada
327 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  02:15 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think of the dies and coin as an Oreo cookie. The cream is the planchet between two dies. If you squish it with even pressure the cream spreads evenly out to and past the edges. If you put a ring around the edge so the cream can't escape; that's the collar die.
The next cookie had a problem. There was a semi-circle of cream missing. When the two sides were put together and squished, the cream flowed outwards to the collar but where there was a void, the cream is also squished in that direction and partly fills the void. There's no collar there to keep the arc perfectly circular. Metal also flows when squished.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05